Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Conference

I am getting SUPER anxious.  I leave Thursday for my very first work trip.  It is also my very first time to spend a night away from my kids.  I honestly cannot think of a time I have been away from Aiden over night, or even for 24 hours.  I am going to be gone for FOUR nights and FIVE days.  OMG.  I know what it's like to be alone with the kids for an entire weekend.  Travis works so much, that I do this frequently.  Sure, he comes home at night, but during the kids' waking hours, he's gone a lot.  I'm afraid for Travis and the stress he will have to endure alone.  But then again, maybe this will help him appreciate me a little more?  Maybe?

At the very same time I am soooooo excited.  I am going to be childless for five days!  I might be too ambitious here, but maybe I'll do my hair before work!  Or maybe I'll go to the gym.  Lol!  Well, maybe not.  I'm kind of hoping I can find the time to get in there though.  I'm a part of this research study at work and we are supposed to take 7500 steps a day.  During a normal day, that's not hard for me.  I average around 10,000 steps a day.  But I'm going to a conference that requires lots of sitting.  I'm going to have a hard time making my quota.  It wouldn't be a huge deal, except I have a little competition with another girl at work.  I don't want to get TOO far behind.  

Ha.  I'll probably be so excited about not having to get up with the kids that I won't be able to get out of bed to exercise. 

My trip is for a biological safety conference in Orlando, Florida.  I'm flying without kids.  I get my own hotel room.  There's no work that first day, so I may just enjoy a drink on the plane...  There are five other women going from work.  I'm looking forward to spending some time getting to know these ladies.  We will all be busy separately from 8 to 5 every day, but we will have the evenings together.  Evenings filled with meals where I can sit and eat the entire thing without having to get up seven times.  Evenings with uninterrupted adult conversation!  I love my children dearly, and I know I will miss them my first night away, but I cannot wait to see what it's like.  It's been three years and three months since I have been without kids.  So it's been a while.

Pros and cons, people.  Pros and cons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're going to have a fantastic time! Though as much as I'm sure you'll enjoy eating your meals uninterrupted, by the 3rd or 4th day, I'm sure you'll be feeling a hole in your heart ;)
Make sure Travis takes plenty of pictures!
BTW, we'll miss you this weekend ;)

Alexa said...

Have a great trip! Don't worry about Travis. He is the other half of the parenting team! Chris does fabulous on all my trips away.

Nikki said...

I'm not so much worried about the parenting side of it as I am the logistics of it. The daycare closes at 5:30. Travis gets off work at 6:30. He's planning to get off early, but if for some reason he can't, we're relying on Ariel. I love my sister to death, but she really isn't very reliable. I have a feeling things might go wrong there. THEN, she's supposed to watch the kids at our house Monday morning (way earlier than she's used to being up) so Travis can go to work. Ugh. This is all so up in the air.

Powered By Blogger