Sunday, June 24, 2012

Two Weeks Left

I can't believe I only have a couple weeks left until I go back to work! I am taking seven weeks off. I only took six with Aiden and I remember thinking it would have been nice to have one more week. It's working out really well this time that Aiden's birthday falls during my leave. That means I have more time at home to clean house and prepare.

Whenever I was on leave with Aiden, I battled with all the changes. I was worried life had changed too much and I would never get a sense of normalcy back, with my body, social life and home life. I know now that things turned into a new normal. Eventually things started to feel like my own again. Because of this knowledge I think I am better able to enjoy my time off with Mila. I look forward to going back to the world of working adults, but at the same time I know there will be plenty of time for that later.

When I DO go back, I will be transferring to a different department. I applied for a position in health and safety last fall, soon after getting laid off due to lack of funding. That position fell through when they promoted someone from within. Instead I applied for the promoted employee's old position. It took five months, but they finally offered me the position! Wahoo!

This job is taking a HUGE weight off our shoulders. I am getting a pay raise that will make up for the cost of sending Mila to daycare. So now we get to keep her!!

I am really looking forward to this new position. I have pretty much plateaued in my lab tech job. The new job has plenty of room for growth. I think the job duties will include 50% desk work and 50% "field" work. That means I'll get some down time (physically) but I won't be bored out of my mind sitting at a desk all week long. My first two weeks are just training. I'm actually looking forward to it! A new challenge for my noggin.

July 9th will bring lots of changes.

3 comments:

Alexa said...

Congrats Nikki! Very proud of you! This will be a great new adventure for you at work in your professional life! You deserve it and I know you'll be great.

I hope you enjoy your last couple of weeks with sweet Mila. I can't wait to visit! I feel like life is running a thousand miles an hour for us right now. I hope to catch up later this month when the dust settles on your getting back to work and our return from vacation. Maybe a birthday celebration sometime later in July? Like 21st or something?! I want a birthday cake and need to share!

Nikki said...

Thank you!! I'm really excited. :)

Yes we definitely need to catch up. I know what you mean about being busy. Part of it for me is just keeping up with the house and trying to sleep. Ha. I'm actually thinking about throwing a party for my birthday this year since its the big 3-0. EEK. I'll let you know for sure after we figure it out.

Sara's Satire said...

I don't know what it is about the second child...maybe just the fact that you've already done it before??? But things just seem easier, even though you have 2 of them. It's easier to really appreciate everything. Plus, I think you realize just how quickly they grow up, so you really take it all in the second time around. Well, at least I did. Not to mention the differences between boys and girls. Anyway, it's just different.

I am really excited for your new job! I think you will like it, and I know you'll be great!

Powered By Blogger