Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Beginning

I have been contemplating starting a blog for a while now. I've been posting occasionally on my other website (MySpace), which you can see under my contacts. Many of my friends have blogs and it seems like a good form of therapy, if nothing else. So I figured, why not?! I'm hoping that I'll get a blog up at least weekly, but I'm afraid I won't have that much to talk about. My life isn't crazy interesting. Same people, different place. Sometimes the same place. But we do try to get out there and do things. I cannot stand not having anything to do! When I mentioned "we" a minute ago, I was referring to my husband Travis and I.

To bring you up to speed on my life, I currently work in a research hospital as a research technician. It is the first job I have had since I graduated from college that I actually enjoy. My lab does work on viruses, which is not my first choice of employment. At least I'm in a lab in the science field. I would prefer to be doing behavioral research in marine biology, but it's been difficult to find a job here. Travis and I moved here in 2002 so I could go to school. We had planned to move to wherever our hearts desired once we graduated, but things didn't work out that way. First we wanted to get married, then money was tight. So we decided to stay for a few years to pay of some credit cards and build equity in a house. We bought our first house together in the beginning of 2007. It's a great little place, but not in the best of towns. That's probably why we got such a good deal on the place.

Since moving into our new home, we have acquired a dog. Travis wanted a dog and I thought I wanted a dog. Now I'm thinking I'm more of a small dog type of person. Or maybe I'm not a dog person at all. I do know for a fact that I am a cat person. We have three cats and they are my FAVORITE. They don't require constant attention and I can find them whenever I need a moment of peace. But Callaway (that's the dog) wants to be interacting EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY. It's very stressful. He is now 11 months old and still likes to chew on anything he can get his paws on. Once a month he pees in the house. He likes to dig holes in a yard (which is giving me qualms about starting a garden). And he barks everytime a leaf falls to the ground outside of the window. Not to mention that he constantly licks at any exposed skin he can get to. IE, hand hanging out of the bed at night, swinging hand while walking, face hanging over edge of bed, etc. Ahhhhh!! Someone told us to try giving him fish oil on a daily basis because he might have some sort of a nutrient deficiency that is leading to licking EVERYTHING. We've been on this for almost two weeks now. This person said it won't start to work until half the bottle is gone. We're still waiting... If anyone has recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nikki,
Dogs are not so bad:). You will see it, just wait a little bit more. And even now, you already wrote more then third part of the novel about your dog. So it seams that he is having a good part in your live.
It was a pleasure to read it.

Nadya.

Alexa said...

Enjoying the new blog! It is GREAT therapy.

Powered By Blogger