Monday, November 1, 2010

Fried Ice Cream is Phenomenal

I didn't have time to do photos this morning, so I will have to post those tomorrow. I am very disappointed because I caught some GREAT moments this weekend.

I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to see much of Travis this weekend. Our friend David is staying in Houston for 4-5 weeks for job training. That means we get to see him on the weekends for a while. This past Friday was his friend's birthday dinner. Since we've hung out with him a few times, he invited us to come along. Unfortunately, the restaurant was an hour and a half away in north Houston and they weren't meeting for dinner until 8pm - half an hour PAST Aiden's normal bedtime. I decided to stay home with Aiden, while Travis went out to dinner.

Travis didn't get home until around midnight, so I was already asleep. Then he got up before I did because he had to work Saturday. I had a lot of running around to do, so Aiden and I got on the road first thing. I had to run into work for a bit, while Auntie Ayo and Uncle Robert kept an eye on the kiddo for me. He ate lunch there before we went home for nap time (Aiden slept, I cleaned the kitchen). As soon as Aiden woke up from his nap, we went right back out to go grocery shopping.

We got back with an hour to spare before I had to go to Galveston for a Halloween costume bachelorette party. A girl from work is getting married next weekend, so we went out to celebrate. I met up with them to get ready and then we went to dinner at Yaga's at 7:30. After that, we went to the Lounge to visit Ariel for a minute. Then we finished the night off at Molly's. We spent a lot of Friday nights at Molly's when we lived in downtown Galveston. The place wasn't as busy as it was when we used to frequent the bar.

I saw a lot of funny costumes, but the most freaky, by far, was a girl dressed up like a body that had been dumped in the ocean. She had wet, stringy hair filled with seaweed. She was wrapped in a black plastic bag that had been taped up with duct tape. Then to finish off the outfit, she wore egg crate shoes filled with "concrete". When she walked into the bar, she shuffled slowly over to me. It was by far one of the creepiest moments of my life. She reminded me of that girl from the Ring with her dark, wet hair. Eesh.

While I was at the bachelorette party, David hung out with Travis at our house and then stayed the night. So the following morning, I got to catch up a little with David about their move back to Texas and his new job. Travis left to do work at our friend Marina's house after Aiden went down for a nap. When Aiden woke up, we went with David out to lunch at Pappasito's. I ate entirely too much.

For the very first time ever, I tried fried ice cream! Vanilla ice cream, crunchy fried coconut coating, drizzled in caramel sauce. !!! This delicious treat has never been on my radar and now I'm kicking myself for the years of lost opportunities. It was amazing. Amazingly delicious and amazingly mind-boggling. How do you fry something that melts to a liquid at room temperature? I have to say that this dessert just about tops my list of favorite restaurant desserts. It comes second only to the Cookie Monster from Cheddar's.

After stuffing our faces (Aiden too!), we vegged out on the couch back at our house for an hour. Then David headed off for his hotel to catch up on some work, while Aiden and I drove to the Ramby's for trick or treating. Travis had to meet us up there since his electrical work took a little longer than he had planned.

Chris and Alexa had Jacen, Marina and the kids over to join in on the trick or treating fun. It was all cute beyond words. I will save the details for tomorrow's post!

No comments: