Monday, July 30, 2012

Surprise Visit

My father-in-law stopped in for an impromptu visit this weekend.  He hadn't met Mila yet and it's been a while since we've seen him.  He drives a truck (which he is in the process of buying) which puts him in our area from time to time.  That's a plus for us because he lives in Alabama now.  With Travis' mom in North Carolina and the rest of our family in Illinois, that makes visiting everyone a lot more difficult.  If anyone can make it our way, we greatly appreciate it.

Curt got in Friday night.  I made tacos for dinner and then we stayed up late catching up.  Saturday was a lazy day.  We hung out at the house; Travis and Curt did yard work.  We've been getting tons of rain lately.  It's nice because that means I don't have to water the plants as often, but that also means the grass grows a foot a week.  Travis hasn't had to mow he lawn twice a week since the summer of 2010.  Last year we had the drought, and this year he doesn't really have time for that.


Post-yard-work nap
 Saturday evening we went to the Yeager's for Luke's third birthday party.  Luke is obsessed with dragons, so they decided to have a movie night with How To Train A Dragon.  Before the movie, we had pizza, cupcakes and Luke opened his presents.  There was a game with a bunch of balloons taped to the fence.  The kids got to pop them with a dragon stick and a toy or confetti fell out.  They played the movie on the back wall of their house so everyone could see easily. They rented a popcorn machine, passed out a bowl of candy and had balloons with a glow stick inside.  Aiden was one of the younger kids there, so he quickly lost his balloon to an older kid.  I felt really bad for him (I didn't see it happen or I would have done something about it), but he seemed to handle it okay. 


Singing Happy Birthday

Opposite outfits

Watching nicely as Luke opens his presents

Opening gifts

The movie crowd

We didn't get home until 10 that night.  Aiden had a long nap earlier in the day, so he was good the entire time.  I didn't get to bed until 11.  I was thankful when I woke up at 8.  Aiden had woken Grandpa up and they started a movie together.  It was nice to finally sleep in!  We wanted to get out of the house, so we went to a seafood restaurant for lunch.  It's right next to the new carnival pier in Galveston, so it was interesting to watch all the people coming and going and riding the rides. 




After lunch I got in my first real nap that I can remember.  I slept for TWO AND A HALF HOURS.  Can you believe it??  I didn't set my alarm because I was sure someone would wake me up.  BUT NOBODY DID.  Travis came in at 5 to see if I was still going to my friend Michelle's.  Whoopsie!  It was fantastic though.  I can't remember the last time I felt that refreshed.

That evening, the boys stayed home and grilled out.  Mila and I headed over to my friend Michelle's house for our weekly viewing of True Blood.  We always do some sort of food.  This weekend was Mexican themed.  I brought sopapillas and margaritas and everyone else provided the meal.  Since I didn't have Aiden, I stayed an hour later than we normally do.  So basically I null and voided any rest I got this weekend.  I didn't get to bed until midnight and then woke up with Mila at 4 AM.  Four hours of sleep just isn't enough.  I feel hungover.  I'm so happy there's not a drug test or breathalyzer for exhaustion because I would surely fail it.  I need to make an effort to be in bed by 9:30 from here on out. Otherwise I might go crazy

I've really been struggling with my weight.  I've had a hard time shedding the pregnancy pounds and it's really eating away at my self esteem.  So far I have lost 19 pounds.  I still have another 15 until I can fit my pre-pregnancy clothes.  I never realized how important my weight is to me.  I've never gotten into exercise, so the only way for me to manage my weight is though a healthy diet.  I'm trying to do that now, but I've pretty much plateaued on the weight loss.  It's so frustrating!  I think part of it might be my sleep deprivation.  I know that can lead to obesity.  I feel like I am fairly active in my daily life.  It's not like I'm sitting on the couch all day. 

One thing that is nagging at the back of my mind is 'what if it's hypothyroidism??'  My mom had a hard time losing weight after she had her third child.  I think it was about a year after having my brother that she went to the doctor to discuss the possibilities.  That's how she found out she had hypothyroidism, which can cause unexplained weight gain . I know it's only been two and a half months since I had Mila, so I'm trying not to over react yet.  It's just a thought that keeps worrying me.  I really want to wear all my old clothes.  I despise that the only thing that currently fits me are maternity clothes.  I'm sure it doesn't help that a couple weeks ago a woman asked me how far along I am.  So embarrassing.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

There were a couple of mean older kids there. Not sure what the perental situation was there, but I was a little annoyed at the behavior towards Blair AND Aiden. I had to protect them more than once while we were out laying on the blanket. They even tried to just flat out take Blair's balloon RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. MEAN. I'll be so mad at Blair if he ever acts that way. We'll have some serious time outs going on.

I can't believe someone said the old 'how far along are you' CRAP. You DO NOT look overweight Nikki. Seriously. Try not to stress too much. It'll come off. It took me MANY months to shed the weight. Sleep was a huge part of it.

Jenna said...

I agree, don't be too hard on yourself. Like you said it has only been 2 and half months. With Jandi it took me longer to loose the weight than it did with Brian. Hang in there!

Powered By Blogger