Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wrong Side of the Bed

Most morning I get annoyed when Aiden wakes up at the same time as my alarm.  That means he's following me around asking me questions or trying to get me to help him with things.  I set my alarm at a time that allows enough time to get ready (myself, pack a lunch, eat breakfast) and then to help Travis dress the kids for daycare.  That means I don't have time to pause every three seconds to talk to Aiden.  Ergo, the annoyance with his early waking. 

I have learned that if I set him at the kitchen table with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal he will leave me alone except when he needs a refill.  I usually get parental guilt when I walk by the table to do something in the kitchen and he asks, "Will you sit with me, Mommy?"  Ugh.  I would love to sit with you!  But I have to get ready for work, so I can't.  Poo.

I have decided that the mornings where he wakes up early are WAY better than the days when he sleeps in and we have to wake him up to get ready.  He is SO GRUMPY if we have to wake him.  This morning, I turned on the lamp on his night stand and propped the door open to help him get rolling.  I went back to the bathroom to continue what I was doing.  Aiden got out of bed and shut the bedroom door.  I stuck my head out in the hallway to see if Travis had done it, but he gave me the same look.  We opened the door to his room to find him turning off the light. 

"It's still dark out," he says.

It was all I could do to get in the hallway before I burst into laughter.  He kept saying he wanted to go back to sleep.  I really wish he could understand that this is how we feel EVERY WEEKEND.  Someday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about getting him one of those lamps that change colors when it's time to get out of bed? You set it for a certain time and the moon (when he's NOT allowed to get out of bed) turns into a sun (when he CAN get out of bed).
I don't have to do it often, but I HATE waking the kids in the morning. It just seems so unnatural!

Nikki said...

That's an idea. We taught him not to come out of his room until after 7:00 am on the weekends, but that because an issue after we started putting Mila in there. He used to play with his lights on, but that would wake up the baby. I will think about getting the clock. It might be worth a try!

Sara's Satire said...

Kids say and do the craziest things! This story cracks me up. Logan NEVER wakes up on his own. He is so much like me, it's scary. The kids would sleep ALL time if he could!I know what you mean about the mommy guilt. A lot of times Logan or Landry will start talking to me or asking for something when I am in the middle of something. Neither of them have patience, they think when they ask for something, I am supposed to hop to it. They don't understand waiting (spoiled brats!). Landry has figured out that she can tell me she needs to go potty if she needs me to stop what I am doing, she is so dang sneaky! Ughh

Powered By Blogger