Monday, December 8, 2008

Another Lazy Weekend

Not much happened this weekend. Travis got home from work late, but not as late as usual. We had time to discuss some Christmas plans and go over the remaining gifts we need to buy. I'm super excited because Travis found out a work buddy of his is going to loan us an adapter for charging a laptop in a car. That way we can watch movies during the ride to Illinois. Hooray for entertainment!

Saturday Travis had to work all day. I sat on my bum for most of the morning and then got ready to head up to Chris and Alexa's. I hung out with them for a few hours before they had to go to a baby shower. I left and drove over to Kai and Melinda's house. They made plans to bring the kids to the local Christmas parade and I decided to tag along. I haven't seen Kai's kids in a few months. Every time I see them I am amazed at how much they have grown! I think they are four and seven years old, so neither of them are babies anymore. They are little talking people. Crazy.

We parked at Melinda's friend's house for the parade since she lives a block from the street that it goes down. The kids brought their mini-chairs so we set those up to save our spot on the street before heading into the wine bar to grab drinks. Sadly, getting there two hours prior to the parade meant nothing when it came to saving our spot. When the floats started going by a new row of kids and parents formed in the road. We worried that someone would get run over, but luckily that never happened!

I was a little disappointed with the parade itself. None of the floats were very exciting and there were five to ten minute gaps between some of the floats. We actually left before the parade was over because it was taking so long and it was so cold. The parade started at 6:30 and Travis was able to see a good portion of it because he got there at 7pm. After another hour or so we tried to go to the Christmas festival that had been set up across the street, but were quickly disappointed to find that no one had any cash and there wasn't an ATM machine anywhere near the festival. Kai and Melinda promised the kids they would go back on Sunday and we left early to go find food.

Because it was so late by this point it took two tries before finding a Mexican restaurant that was open. Travis and I shared a platter since I had already eaten dinner and just needed a snack. Melinda wanted to get chicken tortilla soup for Railey, but they didn't have it! When we asked what soup they did have, the waitress said "beef". Just "beef". Melinda risked ordering it and sure enough, Railey refused to eat it when they set a bowl filled with whole vegetables and some gigantic chunks of circular beef. Not sure what part of the cow it was, but it was freaky.

Sunday, Travis and I slept in. Then Travis grabbed served us breakfast in bed while we read our books for an hour. It was so nice. I spent the rest of the day alternating between taking care of a few random chores around the house and playing solitaire on my computer. I think I'm addicted to that game. In the afternoon we went for a walk with Callaway. We had planned to stop by the park to throw the ball for Callaway, but decided to end things early when we were attacked by mosquitoes halfway through our stroll.

On Friday I was so disappointed to find the video store in Galveston to still be closed down since the hurricane. But then my spirits were lifted when I saw a Redbox rental at Alexa's house. Sunday morning, Travis and I ran up the street to the McDonald's that has a Redbox and rented Kung Fu Panda. It was pretty cute; it actually made me laugh out loud several times.




I couldn't resist this photo opportunity with the kitties. SO CUTE! Anyhoo, only two weeks til we go to Illinois!!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger