Thursday, December 11, 2008

The White Fluffy Stuff

It was a cold day in Galveston yesterday. I wore everything I own to keep me warm and I was still a little chilly. I could see my breath! I think the main problem lies in the fact that the temperature was hovering just above freezing and therefore it was raining, not snowing. The crappy thing about rain and cold together is that the water soaks into your clothes. Especially when for some reason it never rains straight down here - it's usually at least a 45 degree angle, ensuring complete saturation from the knees down IF you have an umbrella that can withstand turning inside out from the wind. Ya, the cold is not very fun here. Not that it is super enjoyable anywhere else, but at least in Illinois the air is dry enough that you can endure standing outside for more than a few minutes.

The rumor all day was that it would snow last night. And guess what?! IT DID! It snowed! At my house and all the way down to Galveston (Ariel confirmed that). I was on the computer when Travis starts screaming "It's snowing, it's snowing!" I ran out into the living room to see that he was watching the weather on the news. What?! Forget the weather forecast - look out the window! Sure enough...




It may not have stuck much to the ground, but it was still an exciting night in southeast Texas!


My poor oleanders!


I wonder if Travis will need to scrape his windshield before going to work?


We had snow on the roof of our house!


Travis' breath is still hovering to the left of him in this photo.



I don't think Callaway was excited about the snow as we were.

It was almost as exciting as the White Christmas in Galveston that we missed in 2004. The sad thing about that year is that it didn't snow the entire time we were in Illinois. So everyone back here in Texas had their snow fix, but we missed it.

When I saw the snow, we immediately ran over to JR and Sara's house to share the news. Sara was also not quite as ecstatic about the white fluffy stuff as I was. She was thinking about driving her paper route for hours with the windows rolled down. I'd have to agree that didn't sound very appealing. I started taking photos and then turned the task over to Travis when it got too cold for me to stand anymore. I've turned into a weenie. Alex told me it's sort of a warm up (no pun intended) for our trip to Illinois in nine days. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

aww...its so fun (if it weren't so stinkin' cold) :D

Powered By Blogger