Wednesday, December 31, 2008

More thoughts on Lil' Wodie

Some very weird thoughts I've had lately are that I am going to be a mom. And Travis is going to be a dad. And we are going to have a son. Putting those thoughts into words, out loud, sounds so strange.

On December 10th, we had the first ultrasound for the nuchal translucency test. This tests for genetic abnormalities and so far everything looks good! I go back again in a couple weeks for the second test to compare the growth over time. I'm confident that everything will be fine. They were able to tell the sex (and the little man couldn't keep his hands off himself, confirming his sex by showing that he is already exhibiting male tendencies), count his 10 fingers, and see the legs, arms and full facial profile.

It's amazing to think I have a little human inside of me. At that ultrasound, he was about five centimeters long, approximately the size of a large plum. We also got to hear his heartbeat for the first time. 169 beats per minute! A little fast, but they said the younger they are, the faster the heartbeat can be.

Another hilarious thing that we witnessed was Lil' Wodie peeing! Then he gulped in amniotic fluid. I'm trying not to think about that too much. It was a weird thing to be privy to. We are already violating his privacy and he's not even out of the womb yet!

I'm a little freaked out about having to take care of him after the circumcision. It's such a sensitive time and I want it to be as easy as possible for the little guy. Oi, I'm worried about him already.

4 comments:

Alexa said...

Oh how the worrying only intensifies....you are already a caring mother to him, you'll be amazing. The circ. is easier than you think. Just LOTS of vaseline.

Da Momma said...

Yes, well the worrying is natural and shows that you will be a great mom. My advice is this: try to get as much sleep as possible during your pregnancy. When you are tired - rest, believe me......once he is born, you will never rest again! hahahaha! The circumcision will be fine. It will be like taking care of the "belly button" only a little lower. Oh, and about the bras. Get the kind that will grow with you, via the little back thingy , at first. Once you get to about 7+ months,you will want to find a good supporting "nursing" style that will breathe with you. So excited for you. xo

Sara's Satire said...

oh, you are so funny! Don't worry about it...the circumcision will heal easily in a matter of days, a week tops! You just need vaseline and your set!...I think it was harder taking care of the umbilical stump, but they tell you how to do everything before you leave the hospital. Plus, you have plenty of friends that have done it before, and we will all be there to help! I cant wait to see him, I bought him some shoes today! Too cute...little flip flops! Cant wait for yall to get back!!!!

Nikki said...

Note to self: purchase Vaseline. Sara, I can't wait to see the little flip flops! Ah! He's going to have many months to wear those after he's born. Da Momma, I have been postponing the bra purchase so far. I was lucky enough to have a bra that is one size bigger than I normally wear. I'll have to look into the "growing bra". THANKS EVERYONE!!

Powered By Blogger