Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bring on the belly shirts!

Aiden's umbilical stump finally fell off. He is freaking 6 weeks old, people. I feel like I've been waiting years for our little friend to make his exit. Now we can give him his first real bath!


Though, it was a bittersweet moment. It was the last remnant of "us". Lately I have been battling with the idea that Aiden is going to grow up. I know, I know. DUH. The other day, Aiden was holding Travis' finger. Travis' tanned, scarred and scraped up finger. I love his hands, don't get me wrong. They are the hands of a hard working man. But it was so strange to see such a stark contrast between Travis' labored hands and Aiden's pale, unscathed, baby soft hands.

I realized that Aiden is going to grow up and have to go through some hard times. He is going to fall down and scrape his knee. He is going to deal with mean, name-calling, little kids. He is going to have to deal with peer pressure. He is going to live through heartbreak. He is going to go through the stresses of college, getting a job and buying a house. And there will be nothing I can do to stop it or make it easier on him. Life will ravage us all. That's just the fact of life and I need to accept it. My little man IS going to grow up. I suppose that is why we brought him into this world, right?



We have been so fortunate in the way of being surrounded by giving friends and family. Every week we get a minimum of one package in the mail addressed to Aiden. Travis' boss' niece (got that?) sent home a bag of goodies - all things we had registered for and not yet received. And my favorite this week? Baby Cookie Monster and Baby Elmo stuffed animals from my cousin Mike and his wife Karen. SO CUTE.


Other "milestones":


First sandals (thank you Sara!)


First outdoor grilled dinner (yay for no mosquitoes!)


And just the cutest hands I've ever seen - untouched by the ravages of life.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

awwww...cutest little belly button ever!!

Powered By Blogger