Sunday, August 2, 2009

Damn Accidents

Two people I know have been in really bad car accidents recently. About a week ago, my cousin Chris, from Illinois, was driving his old Mustang to work when something must have gone wrong because he randomly swerved into oncoming traffic like he was attempting a U-turn at high speeds. He clipped a Ford F-150, ran off into a ditch and hit a telephone pole. He was lucky enough to not break any bones, but the bumpy ride resulted in severe brain trauma. He has been unconscious since the accident. He started having seizures, which I guess is common with this kind of brain injury. There are three bleeds on his brain, one of which is on his brain stem. They put him on anti-seizure meds and he has since been weaned from them. Now we just need him to wake up!

The other accident happened yesterday morning. Our friend David's mom was driving his 1-year-old daughter Wednesday to visit her husband in Texas (they live in Colorado). She attempted to pass a semi, but there was a car coming from the other direction. They had a head on collision going 65-70 miles per hour. The two people in the other car died. Wednesday was lucky and only has severe bruising from her restraints and from the contents of the car hitting her in the head. Becky, David's mom, has two broken legs, a broken arm and broken back. They have already done surgery on her arm and they are expecting as many as eight more surgeries before she will recover. The story was in the local paper.

Please keep my friends and family in your thoughts. They have a rough road ahead of them.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Praying for everyone. Goodness, I can't imagine the feelings that everyone in all the families must be having.

Sara's Satire said...

Oh my gosh! How crazy...JR and I are shocked at the news. I am glad that Wednesday is okay and that David's mom will be okay. I can not imagine what they are going through. I am also very sorry to hear about your cousin...I hope that he wakes up soon. Let me know if you need anything. They are all in our thoughts.

Powered By Blogger