Friday, July 9, 2010

Final Cake Face

I took a REALLY long video of Aiden eating his cake that I haven't even watched yet. I also took a short video at the end to show the final product.

Final Cake Face from Nicolette Ward on Vimeo.

Aiden's doctor's appointment yesterday was NO FUN. According to the charts, he is really small for his age (between the 10th and 25th percentile in weight; they messed up his height measurement, so not sure about that). The doctor was not concerned about it since this is where he was right after birth. She said it's probably normal for him, especially if he is eating okay - which he definitely is.

Aiden was being his (as of late) normal cranky self at the appointment. I had to change his diaper while there and found out that he has learned how to scream. Not yell, not cry, but scream. It is horrid. I'm wondering if he didn't pick that up from the toddler room?

This appointment had a first for us - a finger prick. They used a lancet to prick his finger, then proceeded to squeeze out a mL of blood. I don't know if that is a normal measurement that most people would understand, but that is A LOT to squeeze out of a little ring finger. It took a good three minutes of pure fighting and I thought it was worse than the heel prick they did when he was a newborn - and they had to prick him twice at that visit. THEN, as soon as that was over, they gave him two shots. He was still crying at that point because he was furious about the band aid the nurse had put on his finger to help staunch the blood flow.

We immediately gave him a bottle to help calm him down. Speaking of, Travis and I discussed the bottle situation with the doctor and she said he no longer needs a "bottle" (even if it's just milk in a sippy cup) at regular intervals during the day. She recommended just cutting out the bottles, but still offer a full cup of milk at meals and snacks. She said it will probably be rough for a few days, but eventually he'll get the idea. I've decided to cut out his last two bottles, but keep his morning bottle for now. I just don't have the energy to deal with that every morning, and I would feel better if there was some sort of weaning involved.

Here it goes!

2 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

OKay, good news...your done buying formula!
bas news...your about to see just how expensive milk can get. LOL
If I learned so much with Logan... which has helped me with Landry - but here is some advice...get him off the bottle asap, waiting any longer will just make it harder for all of you. I wouldn't cut out his last two bottles...I would cut out one for three days, then cut out another...Weening is important...if it were me - I would let him keep his morning bottle, and his "before bed" bottle and cut those out last. Also, Logan REFUSED to drink milk out of a sippy cup, so I gave him juice...or what Logan calls "juice water" 1/2 water and 1/2 juice. I just fed him regular foods all day. Everyday, I would try the sippy cup of milk and he would refuse. After a week, I just stopped offering it to him. A week later I tried again...and he took it and never had a problem taking it again. During this time, I threw away ALL the bottles...1- so he couldn't see them and 2- so I woudn't cave in. I probably called the doctors office 4 times in that two week period, and I weighed Logan almost every day....I was so scared that depriving him of milk was going to kill him....LOL

Alexa said...

ADORABLE! I loved watching him dive into that cake. What fun memories...

I think you know how I feel about bottles...I have not, nor will I ever stress about Blair getting one or two a day still. At 27 months. I know kids of doctors that had one once or twice a day till 3 or 4 years old and they were fine and have no cavities...etc. Even Dr. Sears agrees that it is nothing to stress about taking out of their routine right away at 12 months of age. Blair only gets it once in the morning, then in the evening and never ever in bed. Only during wind down time. My one piece of advice? Let him get used to his new schedule at daycare and such before you change the bottles totally. Too many changes at once will be super stressful for you guys and Aiden.

Powered By Blogger