Friday, May 20, 2011

Pixar vs Disney

Speaking of Pixar, I came across an article the other day that pointed out that there is not a single Pixar movie with a female lead. Think about it. There are sidekicks (Dory in Finding Nemo, Jessie in Toy Story), but no leading females. They get close in movies like The Incredibles, but I still felt like the dad was the main character in that movie.


I know that Disney cartoons seemed to favor girls with all the princess movies (Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid), but at least they had some male leads (Pinocchio, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood). Although, now that I think about it, I do recall a blog post by a friend where she points out that the relationships those princesses have are not exactly good lessons to teach our chidren. Belle falls in love with a beast that holds her hostage in his castle. Ariel gives up who she is (a mermaid) to be with the man she loves (with legs).


See what I mean? Let a man treat you like crap and change who you are to be what he wants! That's how you will be happy!


Well, I suppose when I think back on Disney films, that's not what I took from them. I liked the princesses with their flowing dresses, frolicking through the woods, oblivious to the danger that was always after them. I think my favorite princess was always sleeping beauty. She had a strong voice and all the animals loved her. That's what I remember. Being outside. Ariel under the water, Jasmine on a magic carpet ride, Cinderella and the pumpkin. Oh and the fairies were fun too.


And even though Pixar is short-handing the ladies, I still love their movies. They entertain me as a parent, as much as they entertain my son. It's WAY better than having to sit through an episode of Thomas the Train.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger