Thursday, January 12, 2012

Some Joe

It's annoying when things don't go exactly the way I'd like them.  Yes, I know that's life.  But it doesn't stop me from feeling a little off.  Aiden has been waking up really early lately.  I don't know why.  We haven't changed his nap time or bed time.  This morning he came out of his bedroom one second after my alarm went off, which meant he was already awake in his room.  I hit snooze and stayed in bed.  Aiden silently walked around to my side of the bed.  When I didn't react to his presence, he went out to the living room and turned on the light (he climbs up on the couch to reach the switch). 

He played for a few minutes but came back when my alarm went off the second time.  I asked him what he was doing awake already and he ran away whining, "Nooooo...."  I think he thought I was going to make him go back to bed.  You see, that's what I do when he wakes up before the sun is up on weekends or before my alarm has gone off during the week.  I just let him run off to the living room while I forced myself out of bed. 

I've been pretty exhausted this week.  We've stayed up late every night for one reason or another - Curt's in town, the puzzle is all too addicting (we finished it by the way), I can't put an e-book down.  I've gone to bed between 11 and 12 for four nights in a row now.  It's not a habit I should keep.  I usually go to bed by 10.  But in order to get eight hours of sleep I need to be asleep by 9:45.

To top off this exhaustion is the fact that I'm limited on the amount of caffeine I can have.  My doctor said one cup of coffee a day is fine.  But I feel guilty whenever I have caffeine.  For some reason, I feel like Mila is a lot more active than Aiden ever was.  She's always flitting away in there.  But when I have caffeine she goes NUTS.  Almost to the point where it annoys me.  Plus I feel bad that I'm forcing her to take a drug she didn't ask for.  I dunno.  For all I know, she's loving the energy, doing log rolls all around her live-in swimming pool. 

The nice thing about the coffee is it helps keep me regular, if you know what I mean.  I haven't had nausea in a while, so I haven't needed the Zofran.  That means one less thing causing constipation.  I'm still taking stool softeners, probiotics and eating a prune or dried apricot everyday.  Plus, doc told me to drink three LITERS of water a day.  I don't always get the full three, but that combination has kept me pretty regular and I'm loving it.  There are days when I'm BM free.  Those days I contemplate a cup of coffee just to keep things moving.

So I guess I'm going to sit here for another hour or so feeling guilty about how badly I want that cup of joe until I actually go get my fill. 

On a side note, did you know that coffee is sometimes referred to as Java because back in the day, the sole exporter of coffee was the island of Java?  And one theory for the term 'cup of joe' is because the soldiers used to stay warm in the trenches with a metal mug of hot coffee.  GI Joe's drinking a cup of joe. 

3 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

hahaha...you crack me up! What about hot tea? It has caffiene, but less than coffee, maybe then you would feel less guilty? I think if your doctor gives you the okay, you should enjoy the coffee. There is so much you can't have while in your delicate condition, so I say, take advantage of what you can have. Or maybe just have a cup every M,W,F...and skip the weekends...i dunno, just an idea.

I bet Mila is enjoying it. I mean there are only so many times you can roll around before it gets boring...I bet the little pick me up is exciting for her! Oh...or maybe you could do decaf?? I always forget that they actually make decaf! LOL

Alexa said...

I had one or two every morning...both kids seem fine. LOL.

Also, do you think that maybe you can feel her better this time? Didn't Rowe tell you that you have less fluid? Maybe you can just feel her movement more than Aiden's.

I don't know how you stay up, I couldn't wait (still can't) to go to bed when I was preggers.

Nikki said...

No I have lots of fluid again this time. He recommended lots of water to help with contractions. But you're right that I might be able to feel her better. The placenta attached on the back meaning I can feel her everywhere!

The decaf doesn't bother me. I do drink it. Problem is I need caffeine!! Ahhhhh!!

Powered By Blogger