Tuesday, October 14, 2008

9 Years of Dating

Travis and I have this thing where we still celebrate our "dating" anniversary. I didn't realize we would still be celebrating it after we set a new milestone with our marriage June 10, 2006. That seemed like the new logical celebration date. Travis surprised me on October 12th of that year when we met for dinner after work at Ocean Grill (what later became Hooter's in Galveston and is now no longer standing thanks to Ike). I didn't realize what day it was so I was utterly confused as to why we would be going out for dinner on a week night. That is, up until we clinked our beers together and Travis said "Happy Anniversary".

I was mortified that I had forgotten the date that we had celebrated for 6 years prior. Isn't that the sort of thing the wife is supposed to remember? Well, I guess some things are reversed in our relationship. Mostly because my memory is horrible. I always joke that Travis IS my memory. If I ever need to recall something, I just go to him for a reminder. I don't know why my memory is so bad. I tried Ginko Biloba, but that didn't help. I wonder if it's genes or possibly the fact that I have hypoglycemia which can cause memory loss. Not sure, but it is definitely irritating. Travis can never leave me based on this fact alone. I wouldn't even know who I am if we separated!

My whole point here is that we celebrated our 9th Dating Anniversary this past Sunday. It was perfect because that is Travis' only day off during the week right now. Nine years ago, on Sunday, Travis was asking me out in front of my Advanced Biology class when I was a senior in high school. He was a Sophomore, so yes, I robbed the cradle. It didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time though. Funny.

To celebrate the occasion, we went out to Olive Garden. That is where we always used to go for our anniversary when we lived in Illinois. It's strange to think how far we've come since then. We have a move across country, college and marriage all under our belt. I look forward to whatever the next step in life brings us.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger