Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back to Work

Brrr! It was 60 degrees in my house when I got up this morning! Talk about making it difficult to get out of bed. When it came time to get dressed, I grabbed all my clothes and got back into bed to warm them up before putting them on. It reminded me of when I lived at home with my dad in Illinois. We lived in an old Victorian (which some idiot painted pink - yuck) home with no central heating or air, just space heaters. I always picked out my outfit the night before and set the clothes next to my bed so they would be within arms reach in the morning. I remember some days it was so cold in my bedroom (because the heater wasn't turned up high enough) that I could see my breath. INSIDE the house.

Well, it wasn't that bad this morning, but it was still a shock. It's been so nice to have the air and heat off with the windows open that it was like pulling teeth to get myself to close the windows last night. And then again this morning when I tried to convince Travis to let me set the heat at 65 degrees. I don't want my poor animals to freeze while I'm gone!!

Yesterday was my first "real" day back to work. I came to work a week ago, but it was only to clean up the lab, and then I had last week off again. But now I'm back to normal hours. Our lab got approved to begin research, but it will be weeks before we can have all our projects back up and running. Just in time for the holidays. Ugh.

I went for a walk with Callaway yesterday after work. I forgot how horrible that is. He's never been very good on a leash and I know that's our fault for not walking him more regularly. He gets side tracked easily and wants to go smell EVERYTHING. Then, whenever we pass a yard with a dog in it he gets all worked up and I get yanked around as a result. To top things off, a gang of mini-dogs showed up to harass Callaway. At first I held him in close trying to make him behave and I tried to shoo off the ankle biters. But when they didn't go, I let the leash out so Callaway could chase them back a little. Lol! It only chased them off for a minute before they would come right back for more.

THEN! There was a yellow lab loose in the street two blocks away. You have got to be kidding me. That stress-relieving walk went right out the window! I know that labs are not generally aggressive dogs, but I didn't feel like testing the waters. So I turned around and back tracked a little to avoid the possible confrontation. That meant I had that much more time to walk with the mini-dog gang before we got out of their territory. Gah!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

There are so many stray dogs in my neighborhood right now. all I hear, all day and night, is dogs barking. it drives sammy and max NUTS!! Seriously, barking all day and night!!

Alexa said...

Mini-dog gang! Bwhahaha! I can't stand little dogs....I really can't. They don't potty train, they bite, they hump. I can't help it, they are just not my cup of tea.

Powered By Blogger