Monday, September 21, 2009

Creepy Crawling (and flying) Critters

This was a heebie-jeebie weekend for me. First off, with all the rain we got a week ago, the mosquito population is shooting through the roof again. I HATE MOSQUITOS. And I feel like I can say that with much more fervor than I used to now that I have a baby. I don't know how many times Travis and I came running to the rescue while a mosquito sat on my son's head and made a meal of him. I mean HOW HORRIBLE IS THAT?! Being bitten by a mosquito but not being able to swat the dang thing off! It has to be torture. Aiden has three red bumps on his head and it kills me that he might have an itch he can't scratch.

THEN. On Saturday, Aiden was lying on his play mat on the floor when he started screaming bloody murder for no apparent reason. It took a good 15 minutes to get him to calm down. Sara and JR were over and Sara even mentioned that her niece did that once and it turned out she got stung by a scorpion. I checked the mat, just in case, but didn't see anything. Several hours later while Travis was holding Aiden, I noticed a big red welt on his calf. After a closer inspection, I realized it was a bug bite of some sort. The lump was hot and Aiden had been fussy all afternoon, so I was worried it was affecting him strongly. Thankfully, the swelling went down and he got better throughout the rest of the day.

Saturday night I found a freaking baby gecko on my bed. Scared the bejeezus out of me. While I was not too ecstatic about it being in my bedroom, no way was I about to smash a lizard. I grabbed a cup, scooped him up and put him in a potted plant on my back stoop. When I was walking back into my bedroom, I saw either a flying ant or a termite walking on the floor. I smashed that one for sure. Our house has already been treated for termites, so I'm not worried about that.

Friday night I saw something run under our bed. I assumed it was one of those gigantic cockroaches, so I sent Sagira in our room to take care of it. Now I'm thinking it might have been that gecko. Which gives me super heebie-jeebies just thinking about the possibility of sleeping with a squishy lizard. As does the "Life Cycle" section on that cockroach link (150 young?! Really?!).

Travis is definitely going to have to spray for bugs and fog the yard for mosquitos. You can't open the door without letting 20 blood-sucking pests inside with you. I'm also thinking about investing in a couple of those super-duper fans like they have at Walmart that blow down on you like a hurricane whenever you walk in the door.

1 comment:

Sara's Satire said...

*Shiver* We had pest control come last week and spray, and I am still finding Sugar ants...it is really ticking me off. THe mosquitoes aren't really bad up here, but with all the rain, I have noticed an increase in the population. Grrr. I am sorry that Aiden got bitten by something...the second he started screaming like that, I immediately thought of Isabella and that scorpion...it was just so similar. Perfectly happy one second, and painful screaming the next. Anyway..good luck with all the creepy crawlies...I am going to spend the day cleaning the floors...maybe there is some crumbs somewhere that I am not seeing....I hate bugs.

Powered By Blogger