Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Uh MAYBE. But 24?!

This is such a strange story. A woman died soon after giving birth to her son, Moses Goodrich, in Michigan. Her husband decided that since breastfeeding was so important to the both of them, he would find a wet nurse to feed his baby. Turns out, he found 24 wet nurses to take care of Moses.

Before I had Aiden (or BC, Before Child), I would have immediately said this is crazy - stop it. Now, I have to step back for a moment to mull this over. As a nursing mother, I can see how important it is that a child be giving the opportunity to breastfeed. I feel bad that this little guy has lost his mother and therefore did not have her to nurse him and form that bond. That said, I cannot imagine breastfeeding another child. I think that if I had an over supply, I might be willing to pump and give it away. But literally nursing a baby other than Aiden FREAKS ME OUT. I would be so worried about transferring a disease to Aiden.

I think it is insane that this man found TWO DOZEN lactating women within driving distance of his home who were willing to nurse someone else's baby. I understand that it might be necessary to have more than one wet nurse, as these women also need to have enough milk to feed their own child. But 24? Sheesh.

What do you think?

5 comments:

Alexa said...

Hmm, it is a hard subject because there are many with lots of different opionions. Nursing worked so well for me for a year and I am proud of that. I am also a big advocate of it for those it works for. I was a little weirded out when I saw Salma Hayak doing just this to a child in Africa or somewhere, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a natural reaction for her.

Most babies get more milk by directly tapping the source, so I say why not? The baby can do nothing but benefit from this wonderful wonder of nature. :). God Bless that father for offering this to his small baby!

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I think I have mixed feelings on that one too. As a mother who is currently nursing, and who loves it so much, I say GO FOR IT. But at the same time, is it weird to nurse a baby that isn't your own? And won't ever become your own?
Interesting topic.

Sara's Satire said...

hmmm...this is hard...I would be perfectly willing to pump and donate that milk...heck, I almost did because of the amount of milk I was able to produce, but as for actually breastfeeding another child....I applaud anyone willing to do this, but for me personally, I think that is something I could only share with my own child. I guess you never really know until your in the situation. I think I would be willing to do it if it were one of my sisters, but I dont know. Like I said, I would be perfectly willing to donate pumped milk.
Good for the dad though, I definitely think its a great thing, I just dont know if I could personally breastfeed another baby that wasn't my own.

Mom said...

My sister did this. She nursed another woman's baby when the woman's milk dried up unexpectedly. I, however, think it is a bit.........drastic. Smart thinking on this guys part though.

Jill

Alexa said...

Jill, I applaud your sister, that is very selfless. I'd like to think she is going to get rewarded with some major Karma points!

Powered By Blogger