Friday, September 18, 2009

Poor Me

I think I have the flu. Hopefully not swine flu or avian flu or any other zoo flu. I'm hoping for the good old fashioned, plain old flu. I have felt like pure crap for the past two days. This is the first time in my adult life that I can recall having a fever. And I no likey.

I'm going to go ahead and admit here that I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy yesterday (to take a look at the devastation caused by pregnancy and delivery). In case you do not already know the joys of a colonoscopy, I will give you a quick run through of the events leading up to one. The doctor needs your system to be clean in order to use the camera in your GI tract. That means lots and LOTS of laxatives the day before and a clear liquid diet. BARF. I don't think I can smell chicken broth for a long time without getting sick.

Anyhoo, Wednesday I stayed home from work to take care of this laxative and clear liquid diet. I took two pills in the morning and then was supposed to drink 2 liters of some laxative drink that was supposed to do the serious work.

At around noon, I started to feel like pure crap. I was hoping it was just the side effects of not eating and being hypoglycemic. By 1pm, I was exhausted and passed out for two and a half hours. When I woke up, I felt worse, so I decided to take my temperature. The thermometer read 99.7 F. I called the doctor to see if it would be okay for me to go ahead with the drink at 5pm. The nurse said as long as it doesn't get above 100.7, to go ahead with it.

At 5pm, I was feeling worse, if that is possible, so I took my temperature one last time. It was at 101.3F!! YIKES. I tried calling the doctor's office to let them know, but they were already closed. I decided not to take the drink and opted for a sandwich and some Ibuprofen instead. The Ibuprofen helped a lot, but I took some Tylenol a few hours later for good measure.

I'm so thankful I didn't have to go ahead with the laxatives and that colonoscopy. I was seriously dreading it. As if dealing with the clear liquid diet wasn't bad enough. I had to do it at the same time as I was fighting a fever. YUCK.

My fever seems to come and go like waves throughout the day. I've also been battling hot flashes (one of which I am having right now) and the chills. Yucky. Since I was unable to breastfeed Aiden for 24 hours after taking those laxative pills, I told Travis that he had to take care of him 100%. I didn't touch Aiden Wednesday night or Thursday morning. It was torturous. Do you know what it's like to see your baby, but not be able to touch him?!

By Thursday night, I was able to breastfeed, so I went ahead with that. Hopefully I will pass some of my antibodies onto Aiden so he won't get whatever this crap is. Somehow Travis woke up Thursday with a stomach bug. I know it's horrible, but I'm hoping it was just food poisoning, so I don't have to worry about Aiden getting that too. It is so strange that Travis and I should both get really sick at the same time with different illnesses.

The first picture on this page was just begging to be shared. Sara and JR took one like this of Logan when he was still a baby. Travis took the second photo last night. You can get the gist of just how crappy I feel. Hopefully I didn't pass it on to Little Man. I've been pretty crazo about the hand sanitizer (if that stuff even works).

1 comment:

Sara's Satire said...

bwaaahaaa!!! Shorts on the head is just too cute!

Powered By Blogger