Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Day in NOLA

Travis and I made the decision to drive to New Orleans after work on Friday. It is a 6-hour drive for us, which put us in at around midnight. I wasn't all that excited about staying up late for a drive, but it seemed like the best idea since Aiden would be sleeping for most of it. Another plus is we had two full days to hang with David and Stephanie!

Unfortunately, Stephanie had to work Saturday. We got up slowly that morning and headed out after Aiden woke from his morning nap. We drove up and down Magazine street and St. Charles, which are lined with lots of little shops and restaurants. We chose a local PoBoy place that looked super cute.


While we were inside waiting in line to place our order, guess who gets up from a table and walks out. Tim Robbins. Holy cow! I never get to see celebrities! And this one was just having lunch at the same place as us. Apparently he was in town to host a fundraiser. I saw him and just stood there trying to figure out what to do. I really wanted to point him out to Travis and David, but since we were only 10 feet from the guy, I thought it might be a little obvious and I did anything. And the last thing I want to do is annoy a celebrity. I really don't want to be that person. You know, the one who freaks out when they see someone famous. Well, I just did it internally.

I slapped David on the arm (he was closest) and whispered, "isn't that somebody famous?" I just could not think of what his name was. He was with a younger guy, waved goodbye to the guy running the cash register and walked out. The second he was out the door, I ran over to Travis. He went to the window, but couldn't see where he went. Then Tim Robbins drove away in his SUV and David and I saw him again. Travis is yet to believe us.

After lunch, we headed over to Audobon Park. It was absolutely breathtaking.


There is a rookery island in the middle of the park that was filled with birds. We saw anhingas, cormorants, geese and lots and lots of heron (and also lots of turtles). There was a giant tree hanging over the water that was covered in White Heron.


After the walk, we had to stop at the swings for the kiddos.




That evening we hung out at their apartment, which is a really cute loft-like place that they have filled with modern decor. Stephanie spent all day working, then came home to make us dinner. It felt so wrong! But we appreciated the homemade pizza a bunch. We chatted the evening away and their neighbor even came over for a while.

More photos to come!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger