Tuesday, June 1, 2010

BP Oil Protest

This past weekend, we went to visit our friends David, Stephanie and their daughter Wednesday at their new home in New Orleans. We haven't seen them since they came here for Wednesday's first birthday party a year and a half ago! It was so great to spend some time with them again and catch up on some of the little things that don't usually get mentioned during phone and email chats.

Since I haven't had time to go through all my photos yet, I thought I would just throw up a couple from a protest we came across while walking through the French Quarter. It was a bunch of people (the most extreme hippies I've ever seen in real life - no joke) talking about how a militant-level of force may be required to get BP to solve this oil spill crisis. YIKES.




See how the eyes are little BP flowers? Ha! Clever hippies.

I know this oil spill is a HUGE mess. 'Huge' doesn't even begin to cover the vastness of this issue. BUT I do know, as an American, that we rely heavily on oil products. At this point, we just cannot function without it. However, I do think it was a little wreckless to be drilling so deep without any safety mechanisms. That said, it drives me crazy when the news anchors say they are just dealing with this situation blindly, as if it is sickening to think they don't have written plans laid out. Is there any other way to deal with this? This has NEVER happened before.


I know there are people out there who are boycotting BP gas stations. While I do not have access to any BP gas stations, I do not know that this is the best way to go about handling the situation. Take money away from a company that is using every resource to clean up this horrific mess that may affect the seafood industry in the US for decades? Doesn't seem to be the right step at this point to me. Maybe after the leak is repaired.

It is sad to think that millions of gallons of oil have been spewing daily into the Gulf for over a month now. All I can say is I hope this gets solves SOON.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger