Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dreamland? Or just Galveston?

I think I've mentioned on here before that every once in a while I have a series of strange things happen to me that make me stop and want to pinch myself. This time I couldn't help but think of Inception. I had to peek around to see if a hundred projections were staring at me.

Yesterday, right before I was supposed to leave work, it started raining. Of course, it never just rains here in southwest Texas. We're either wet from humidity or wet from the monsoons that occasionally drop down. Last night's monsoon lasted approximately 30 minutes and was letting up as I walked out to my car.

I was wearing a garbage bag because I didn't have my umbrella and I wasn't too keen on the idea of being soaked when I picked Aiden up from daycare. The bag was blowing so wildly I couldn't hear much, but I could hear sirens off in the distance. As I was crossing the street, I also heard really loud popping noises to my right. I turned to see what was going on and there were two transformers, one on either side of the street, sparking fiercely at each other. Then I realized that something was also shooting off like a 4th of July sparkler on the side of a building. From what I could tell, a cable had come unattached on both sides and was slowly sliding down towards the ground. Everything was sparking and flaring electrical fires. The fire truck arrived a moment later and I continued my way home.

I was driving down Seawall when I noticed water was dripping out of the passenger airbag warning light in the roof of my car. POS car. As I was trying to figure out how that water could get there, I watched it drip directly onto my cell phone in the center console below. I wiped off my phone, and looked out the window.

People who have been in Galveston know that there are some peculiar things on this island. I know there are strange things and people everywhere, but I feel like I've never been more aware of it as I am on this island. Sure enough, driving down the Seawall on an adult-sized, pink tricycle was a very large man in overalls.

*Blink, blink*

I pulled up to Aiden's daycare and went inside to find him sitting with a teacher at the front desk. She was talking to another woman who had just picked up her son from Aiden's class. When the woman walked away, the teacher gives me a sympathetic look and explains that Aiden had a rough day. I guess we're making up for several days without a bite. He had THREE bites. One on his left arm, two on his right. Each left two red crescent marks on his baby skin. The second the front door shut, she points at the boy walking away with his mother and says he was responsible for two of the bites. A known biter. The other was from a little girl who is currently teething.

I don't know what to do about this biting situation. They don't have enough teachers to keep a hawk's eye on the known biters. Travis and I have talked about switching Aiden to a different daycare. I found one that does not currently have any biters, but there is no guarantee that a biter won't move in later. I am not that thrilled about the idea of moving Aiden again, only a month after he transitioned to this new room. And the only way we would move him is if it were to a nicer daycare and that means more money, which at this point is not easy for us to do.

I hate that Aiden is getting injured several times a week, but what worries me more is the thought of him turning into a biter himself. He's given it a try a couple times now. I always look at him and say 'NO', then I set him down immediately to let him know I won't tolerate such behavior. I feel like the longer I wait, the higher the risks get. We're just having a hard time making the decision to move him or not.

5 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

Wow, yeah - that is getting a little ridiculous. I dont know what I would do in that situation, but there has to be something better than letting a child get bitten so often. It seems crazy to me that they wouldn't hire another person for that room. It doesn't seem appropriate. I mean, why wouldn't they tell the parents, of the "biters" that they need to fix the problem or find a new daycare...why is it the "victim" is the one that may have to move? And again, it seems to me they should implement some sort extra help for that room. Wow, I am sorry that you have to go through all that, and Aiden as well.

Rachel said...

I'VE SEEN THAT GUY!!!! Creeps me out!

Nikki said...

The reason why Aiden would have to be the one to go is because there is no established "Biting Policy". My friend works at a daycare in Illinois and they have a policy: "3 bites and you're out". Sucks if you have the biter, but it's good if you don't. This place is pretty cheap compared to the other daycares, so I can't complain too much. Travis and I just need to magically come up with more money!! Sucks because I like everything else about the place...

Alexa said...

At our old daycare and the new one thy report the biting to both sets of parents. It is also a rule that the parents not know who the children involved are forfear of retaliation. I am very surprised they pointed the buyers out to you! Kinda makes me feel bad for those children cause it is really the parents and daycare staff that need to find clever ways to modify the kids' behavior. Sad...we went through several itterations of Blair gettin biten, but never this bad! I would be upset with the daycare...

Heart Centered Psychic said...

There are all kinds of strange goings on in Galveston. I've seen it, experienced it, and blogged about it. I say blame your car issues on them! Aiden biting on the other hand; well...maybe that's a stage. Hope it passes soon!

Love,
Brenda

Powered By Blogger