Thursday, August 26, 2010

In my head, lettuce almost went extinct.

Yesterday morning, I was getting my lunch ready as Travis was about to walk out the door for work. I was slicing a cucumber wondering if it was considered a fruit or a vegetable. I voiced my thoughts to Travis and he said the same thing I thought. If it has seeds inside, then it's a fruit. But then, think of all the plants we eat with seeds inside: pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, the list goes on. Are all these fruits then?

My next thought was how do vegetables propagate if they do not have seeds? What about lettuce?! If there are no seeds in lettuce, then how do they continue on?!

Oh the things I have to worry about.

I did a little research and for all of those that are just as concerned about the fruit vs vegetable debate, here is what I found:

A vegetable is any edible part of a plant that is usually a leaf, root or stem. A fruit is any edible part of a plant with sweet flavor that is also the ovary of a seed-bearing plant. One website said that all fruit are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruit. Tricky. All vegetable plants have seeds, they just may not necessarily be IN the vegetable.

I didn't really find this to clear up much for me. It's not cut and dry the way I'd like it to be.

Lettuce in particular is very peculiar. The longer lettuce is allowed to grow, the more bitter it becomes. When lettuce is farmed, it is picked for sale before it gets bitter. BUT, if the farmer wants lettuce seeds, they have to be patient. Eventually, the lettuce grows what is called a "bolt" that grows out of the lettuce head. A flower and seeds grow, making lettuce the leaves of the flower. Voila! The seeds can then be harvested!

After writing the word vegetable this many times, it no longer looks to be spelled correctly.

Vegetable.

Vege Table?

My brain is saying veeg table.

2 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

Hahaha...you are too funny, and yet I have had these thoughts before too! But as you and Travis thought, anything with seeds is a fruit. Meaning, bell peppers, pumpkins, cucumbers....all fruit! "A fruit is any edible part of a plant with sweet flavor that is also the ovary of a seed-bearing fruit." To me it makes perfect sense.... Where are seeds produced? The ovary - so basically we are eating an ovary when we eat fruit.
"A vegetable is any edible part of a plant that is usually a leaf, root or stem." Again, it makes perfect sense. Lettuce is the leaf of a plant, carrots are the root.
All fruits are vegetables because by definition they are the ovary of the plant itself, but not all vegetables are fruit, because a vegetable is the leaf, root, or stem and does not contain the ovary.
See, makes perfect sense!!! LOL

Nikki said...

Glad to have enlightened someone today! I thought there HAD to be someone else out there with a mind as curious as mine. Rachel and I did all the sleuthing together yesterday. Research at it's finest!

Powered By Blogger