Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our Beach Escape and Callaway's Yard Escape

I have been wanting to go to the beach with Aiden for a few weeks now. I want to get in as many trips as possible before the heat and tourism becomes unbearable. Travis wasn't up for it this weekend - he didn't feel like dealing with the sand. I feel the same way sometimes, but the need to get out of the house overpowered my disdain for sand everywhere. So Aiden and I headed to Galveston beach Saturday afternoon.


Aiden has been taking naps later in the day ever since he learned to climb out of his travel crib, so we were later getting out of the door than I preferred. I went straight for East Beach because you can park your car right where you want to sit on the beach. Having Aiden, I've found this much more convenient than having to walk a ways from the car with my arms full, all the while keeping track of Aiden. I knew there was a sand castle competition on Saturday, but I didn't realize it would go so late in the day. So when I was stopped in traffic half a mile away from the beach, I decided to back track a bit to another beach.


I had never been to this particular section of the beach, but Rachel frequents it when she can. It's known to have more than the normal amount of rainbow umbrellas and same sex hand-holding. The perfect place for a woman to go if she's not up for flirters.








I recently bought a stake umbrella, so I was excited to put this to good use. This was the first time I'd used it and it was only a bit breezy. Perfect for umbrella usage. We applied our sunscreen and went straight for the water. Aiden loves it. The water is warm now. It was still cold when we were on the beach for Mother's Day. It's not the hot bath water that it is in the dead of summer, but it was warm enough that I didn't hesitate sticking my feet in.


Aiden found some seaweed that he didn't want to let go. He carried it around for the remainder of our time on the beach. After we played in the water for a while, we went back to hydrate and build a sand castle. Or should I say compacted sand pile? Finally, we went back to the water to rinse off. I showed Aiden some shells and he quickly started collecting them. He had his hands full by the time we left. It was nice and relaxing.








Saturday morning, Travis and I attempted to go for a walk to the park with Aiden.





We had about 5 minutes playing at the playground before one of our neighbors pulled up at the park to notify us that our dog kept getting out of the yard. He said he put Callaway back in twice, but somehow he kept getting out. Our neighbor was worried he'd get hit by a car since we live on a fairly busy street, so he drove over to get us right away.

We quickly started the trek back home. When we got there, Callaway was sitting on our front porch. Travis put him back in the yard and then we tried to figure out how he was getting out. We couldn't find anything strange or out of place. I was worried he was jumping over the fence. The only way to solve that problem is to build a taller fence - a luxury we don't have at the moment. I didn't want to have to go back to kenneling Callaway. He's lost so much weight, just by being allowed to run free outside during the day.

Aiden and I went for a short walk while Travis stayed on the front porch. We were trying to get Callaway to show us his secret escape route. It was time for lunch, so we didn't have enough time to figure it out.

That afternoon, we had plans to go to our friends' house for a birthday BBQ. We threw Callaway's collar on, put him in the yard and started north. We were pulling into the grocery store when a different neighbor called Travis to say Callaway kept getting out despite repeatedly being put back in his yard. We turned the car around.

When we got home, Callaway was still in the yard, but Travis had spotted the escape route. He was digging a shallow spot under the fence near the new patio. I am so thankful that this is a problem we can work with. Assuming he doesn't start digging in another spot, we can just fill this hole with bricks or boards. Also, this is the part of the fence we will be bumping out to encompass the new patio. Which means eventually, we won't have to keep the bricks under the fence.

Hopefully Callaway can avoid getting himself killed until then...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger