I had my regular OB appointment this past Thursday and I finally had questions! I have felt so guilty this time around because I go in, the doctor checks a few things (Leg swelling? How frequent are the Braxton Hicks? Drinking plenty of water?), then she asks if I have any questions. Generally, the answer has been 'no'. But this time was different. A few days before the appointment, I realized that I'm going to have to push this kid out soon and I had a mini panic attack. I remember asking a friend who was pregnant with their second child if they were more scared this time, or the first time, going into delivery. She said the second time was worse. When I asked why, she said it was because she knew what it was like now. At the time, I remember thinking that should scare me more than it did. But now I know what she means, whole-heartedly.
It was like running a marathon through a series of ginormous cramps. I had some questions about the delivery process, since there were a few things I'd like to avoid if possible. First topic, was pain control. Last time, I had an IV drug called Stadol. After talking to the doctor, I found that I will not be getting that drug, even if I wanted it, because there is a Stadol shortage. She talked to me about using Fentanyl instead. Because it has similar side effects (like knocking you out), I still want to avoid it for as long as possible. But if worse comes to worse, she said I can have small doses of it so it won't stay in my system for as long.
An issue that has cropped up recently MIGHT effect this. At my last two appointments, Mila has been breech. For those of you who don't frequent pregnancy books, that means she is still head up. The baby is supposed to be head down for delivery. I still have six weeks left, so the doctor is not concerned just yet. I asked her what we would do if she stays breech. I keep seeing images of women in an exam while the doctor attempts to manually flip the baby around (aversion). It seemed like a painful process that I'm not too keen to try. Thankfully, my doctor doesn't like to do it that way. She prefers to wait until I'm in labor or in for an induction before she attempts this, since one risk is the placenta detaching, causing a stillbirth. I don't want that either. Another plus to waiting until I'm in the hospital is I can get an epidural first. So no pain during the aversion!! AND that means I won't have to wait until I'm dilated 4 cm to get the epidural.
I do have hope though. I noticed some strange movement yesterday and then some new pressure I haven't felt before. Also since then, I have noticed some movement on the right side of my belly instead of my left. I am hopefully that this kid has decided to make the big flip, but I won't know FOR SURE until my appointment a week from Thursday. Crossing my fingers...
Besides those topics, the only other one I was interested in was what her policy is for inducing. I feel like one reason the labor was so drawn out last time is because I was induced. I was wondering if she would let me go to 42 weeks, or if she was worried about the baby getting to big. She said she would be more worried about the decreased efficiency of the placenta after 41 weeks, putting the baby at risk. That's all she had to say for me to agree to induce at 41 weeks if I am still pregnant. I hope, hope, HOPE that my body will know what to do this time around and get this party started on it's own. Perhaps the labor will progress more smoothly. Last time I had intense contractions before I started dilating. I know women who have gone into labor, tie up some loose ends at home, get to the hospital with minimum pain during contractions only to find they are already 4 cm! That must be what pure bliss is.