Tuesday, April 3, 2012

On the Inside

I just love it whenever Aiden gives me a glimpse into his feelings.  He's still little, but he is a "guy", so I try not to expect TOO much from him.  I love it when he finds a way to articulate his feelings for me though.

In the past few months, he has started telling me when something hurts.  It started out with simple things, like his finger hurts (hang nail), or his foot hurts (rock stuck in the shoe).  Recently it branched into his tummy hurting.  That generally signifies a bowel movement.  It's a nice warning since he has a record of problems with pooping.  Thankfully I don't think it actually hurts every time he says it does.  I think he's just getting the sensation to go.

Speaking of poo, Aiden has graduated to the big toilet.  He uses an adult toilet when we are in public, and they have child-sized toilets at daycare that he uses all the time.  I am really tired of emptying the training potty every time he goes.  I realized it was up to me to help him make the transition.  I set up a stool and his training seat in the half bathroom, then I put the training potty out in the garage (out of sight, out of mind).  Thankfully, he accepted the transition easily and has been using it on his own ever since this weekend!  He has also been staying mostly dry at night, though not frequently enough for us to skip the nighttime Pull-ups.  I am thrilled he has gone through this whole potty training thing so well.  And just in time for the baby diapers to start rolling in again!

Yesterday when I picked Aiden up from daycare, one of his classmates ran up and gave me a hug around the legs.  Aiden was further from me, so he didn't reach me until after his classmate did.  He was yelling, "Mommy!" just like he always does when I show up, but it quickly turned to, "My mommy!" when he saw what his friend was up to.  When we got into the car, I asked if he liked that classmate.  He said, "Yes," then his face got pouty and he said, "he touched my momma."  LOL!  Crazy kid.  I said, "Yes, wasn't that nice of him to give me a hug?" and he said, "Oh, ya!"  Funny how easy it is to affect his take on life.

Another example: Last night when I got home, I turned on a show for Aiden to watch while I made dinner (keeps him out from under my feet).  When I was finished, I set down the remote on the coffee table and noticed a lizard laying on it's back right next to the throw rug.  Eesh.  My first reaction was, "Awww grosss!"  Of course, then Aiden has to walk around to inspect what I've seen and agree with me.  Dang it.  I don't want him to be averse to creatures because of my silly first reaction.  We always take time to check out the live anoles around the house.  I'm never going to catch one, but I like to watch from afar.  Hopefully that balances out my girly response.

When we got into the car after daycare last night, I noticed Aiden's hands and face were dirty.  I got the wipes out to wash him down and asked him what he had been up to.  He said another classmate had pushed him down in the mulch.  Then he said he didn't like that boy.  After a little prodding, I sounded more like they were chasing each other and Aiden fell down, or perhaps the other boy got a little excited and knocked him down in the process.  I know which boy he's talking about.  He can be pretty rambunctious and I know he's a handful for the teachers.  But he's not quite a bully.  You never know though.  I asked Aiden again later in the evening if he liked that boy and he said yes.  Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding, but I appreciate Aiden's willingness to share these things with me now.

1 comment:

Sara's Satire said...

Your son is Awesome!

Landry started the big potty two weeks ago...it started with necessity, because when we moved in, I couldn't remember where I put her potty...OOPS! I need to get a stool for her, I just haven't yet, but it is hilarious to watch her climb on! After I found her potty, she said she wanted to use the big one...I remember thinking, "yes, I dont have to empty the little one!" Ha, glad I am not the only one who feels relieved by this!!!

Powered By Blogger