Friday, November 20, 2009

Peas Please

Aiden has now been eating peas every evening for the past couple days and he seems to like them. With each jar of new food, it takes him a day or two before he opens his mouth to accept the food willingly. The first day is full of food shivers which can be seen at about the 1:02 mark in this video. They make me laugh. I'm looking forward to feeding Aiden sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I never knew how much joy I would get out of feeding a baby.

Aiden's sleep patterns have been pretty messed up lately. Ever since the time change, he has been getting up "an hour early". Sometimes an hour and a half early. I put those quotes there because he is still getting up at the same time as he used to, but now with the time change it works out to be an hour early. And it's horrible. When he wakes up, he's fine. He just lays in his bed and jabbers away. I have been torn on what to do. Let him sit there and babble and hope that he will eventually learn to put himself back to sleep? Or go in to swaddle him when I know he will fall immediately back to sleep?

Everyone I've talked to says that if we put him to bed earlier, he should sleep later. I guess the phrase here is "sleep begets sleep". The problem is that I can't put him to sleep earlier without him missing a feeding. Usually when I feed Aiden, I breastfeed and then supplement with up to 4 ounces of formula. Lately, he has been refusing the bottle frequently. Aiden takes a nap from 6 to 7:30 every night. We get him up to feed and then he goes back down by 8:30. I've decided that tonight I am going to only breastfeed him (takes less time) and I am going to do it back in his bedroom with only the night lights on. Hopefully that will keep his waking to a minimum and will go right back to sleep.

I hope this makes a difference in when he wakes up. I am EXHAUSTED. His jabber keeps me awake in the morning. And even on the nights when it's Travis' turn to get up with him, I am the one who is alerted by Aiden's talk or crying. Then I have to wake up Travis to go take care of him. I'm thankful that I don't have to get out of bed, but I am awake nonetheless.

Oh ya - Wednesday night Aiden woke up at 1:30am. He was back to sleep before I even finished reswaddling him, but I worry this might be a sign of what's to come. I am fairly confident that it is due to the severe cold he is fighting. His nose seems to get almost entirely plugged up. That makes him really mad. The logistics of nursing with a fully plugged nose do not add up. I'm wondering if that might be why he hasn't been eating very well lately either.

Ugh, there is so much to worry about with a kid!!



NEW MOON IS IN THEATERS TODAY!! NEW MOON IS IN THEATERS TODAY!! In case you've been living under a rock. Seriously, there is no excuse to not know this. All the husbands of my friends may not particularly want to see this film, but they know it comes out today.


As entertaining as it would be to see all the kiddos in character costumes, I have opted to wait until next weekend to go. I know I could never get to the theater early enough to get a decent seat. Every movie I've seen opening weekend, I spent sitting in the front row staring up the nostril of each actor.


The bummer about not seeing New Moon today is that I will probably see some of the trailers that divulge more of the movie than I am ready to see. I just may have to avoid the TV today...

4 comments:

Alexa said...

Get the saline mist or drops seriously, they totally help when you are suctioning out the boogers. I had to do this for Blair for the last half of his first year while breastfeeding, REALLY HELPED. :)

Nikki said...

Oh good call! We have saline drops already, but I forgot about them. This should be interesting...

Anonymous said...

Hey! Have you thought about eliminating that last nap, and putting him to bed at 6:30 or so? So instead of feeding him at 7:30, he'd be fed at 6:30...? Just a suggestion. Don't you hate this trial and error BS?

Nikki said...

I could try it. I just worry about fitting too many feedings close together. We are trying to add an ounce to each feeding, which will make cutting the last one out more plausible. Ya the T&E is a pain in the patoot. Cuz when it doesn't work, my baby gets CRANKY.

Powered By Blogger