Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tex RenFest

Oh my. That photo is just too much for words. He was like a statue just standing there. Except for when people would run up to take their picture with him - then he would lift up his arm for a hug. LOL! BIG MAN, little Alexa. And Alexa would say he had smelly underarms...

We went to the Texas Renaissance Festival this past weekend with Rachel, Scott, Alexa and Blair. Chris was out of town in San Francisco, so he missed all the fun this year. This was our (Travis, Aiden and I) first time at any Renaissance festival and boy was it entertaining!


I mean LOOK AT THAT WOMAN! I'm not quite sure what she was supposed to be. A fawn maybe? She had three-inch, tusk-like teeth jutting out of her bottom jaw. These people were EVERYWHERE. I didn't take nearly enough photos.


One woman was super interesting, but it felt wrong to take a photo of her. It was like she went into Hobby Lobby and bought a bunch of silk flowers and just glued them to all the not-for-show-in-public places. It was actually very pretty, with the colors arranged together. Oh and their was a vine entwined around one leg. Creative.

Getting the festival was a feat. We left at 10:30 thinking that would give us plenty of time to get to the north side of Houston so we could have lunch there. Nope. Traffic was ridiculous. We didn't get to the festival until 2pm!! We were all cranky and hungry, so we rushed in directly to the gyro stand in the Greek section of the festival. I sat down to feed Aiden while everyone grabbed food. We sat and people-watched while we ate. I could have done that for hours. It was Roman Weekend, so there were lots of people wearing togas. There were fairies and gladiators and peasants. We even saw someone dressed as a tree. ??? Maybe because we were in the woods? And fairies supposedly live in the woods? Not sure.

The grounds were HUGE. I guess this is the only activity that goes on there. Makes me wonder how that space is paid for if it only gets used for a couple months out of the year. Since we were all hungry, we griped when we found out the maps were $5 each and passed them up. After we ate and had clear heads I think we slightly regretted that decision. I've decided that next year I'll go there first thing in the morning, buy a map and leave by 4pm.

Since we got there later in the day, we didn't plan around the shows very well. Next year I want to try the bungee cord trampolines and the giant swings. OOOooo and next year Aiden will be walking when the festival comes around so I'll definitely go into the petting zoo (as sad as those things are) and maybe we'll try the camel and elephant rides. So much to do, so little time! I laughed when I saw there was RV parking for people who camped the whole weekend. I'm rethinking that now.

Leaving RenFest was beyond insane. We got in the truck at 5:30 and sat in line for three house while we waited for the police to get some sort of domestic disturbance under control. By that point, EVERYONE from the festival was in the car, ready to go, so the traffic leaving was ridiculous. By the time we got out of the worst of the traffic, we were all ready for a bathroom break and dinner. McDonald's here we come!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger