Tuesday, January 5, 2010

6 Months


Oh my. Our child is half a year old! Ahhhh! I brought Aiden in for his 6-month check up this past week (took advantage of the time off from work). Here are the stats:
  • 16 lbs, 13 oz
  • 26 inches long (his percentile shrinks each time we go to the doctor)
  • 4 shots (2 in each leg) + 1 oral vaccination = 4 band aids

Four shots folks! And the doctor wanted to do five! Now that Aiden is 6 months old, he is eligible for the novel H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccines. Since his fever spiked at over 103 degrees after his last vaccinations, I opted to skip the seasonal flu shot for now. I have to bring him back in three weeks for the novel H1N1 booster and I'm thinking about getting him the seasonal flu shot at the same time. I'll probably call ahead to see if that's even an option (since it's only a nurse visit).

I'll tell you what - that was the longest it has taken to give the vaccinations thus far. It felt like a decade of baby crying before I was allowed to pick him up. Horrible! Horrible, I tell ya!

No fever this time. It could have something to do with giving him Tylenol every 6 hours for a whole day after the appointment. Or it may have just been a fluke thing last time. No telling.

The doctor said Aiden is doing great developmentally. I was reading in my book that by the end of this month, Aiden could be able to feed himself a cracker. I can't believe it. I've started the weaning process this week. It's definitely harder on me that it is on him. This is all going entirely too fast for me. Call me an old lady, but I think he needs to SLOW DOWN.


3 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

Awww..poor Aiden with all those shots, and poor you with the weaning....I remember how painful it was when I decided to stop pumping with Logan! My best advice is to start off VERY slowly. Replace one feeding with a bottle and after a few days replace two...Maybe you could even stop pumping at work. I dont know, I just remember that it was very difficult and painful! Of course, I was pumping about 20 oz. at each session....this time I think it will be different because I think I only produce about 4 oz. from each side! Hopefully it wont be too painful whenever I decide to stop!
Just be proud of yourself...you breastfed for 6 whole months! THats AMAZING!

Nikki said...

Weaning has not been as painful as I thought it would be. I dropped one feed (which just happened to be during one of the pumping times at work) Monday and Tuesday. I'm dropping another today. This is the one I'm worried about. I've skipped a feed before, when I've been out for dinner or something. No biggie. Two makes me nervous. My milk supply has been diminishing anyway, so I have a feeling it won't be that horrible. Now the mental side of it - that's a different story!!

Sara's Satire said...

awww...well at least it isn't painful! I think that when I finally decide to stop it wont be as painful for me either...thank goodness! I know the mental side of it is hard...there are days that I just want JR to go warm a bottle and have him do it, but then I think how much I would miss it. Of course, Landry still isn't even 3 months...so I can only imagine that after 6 months it has to be very emotional for you!

Powered By Blogger