Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Breastfeeding Tips

For those of you who are not breastfeeding or even interested in the topic, bear with me for a moment. I think this information is important to get out there. I got all this information from my doctor today.

Tips and info for after dropping that last feed:
  • It can take anywhere from weeks to months to stop producing breastmilk.
  • Consider wearing a tight top or sports bra to help dampen milk production.
  • Beware of breasts being hot to the touch. If this happens, check your temperature for a fever. You can still get clogged milk ducts after you are done breastfeeding (which I am learning the hard way).

If clogged milk ducts happens to you:

  • Warm compresses and hot showers are your friend.
  • If it lasts longer than a day, contact your doctor. She may prescribe antibiotics to prevent or treat mastitis.

This is harder than I thought!!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I guess I just took it for granted that you knew these things and had read about them in your nursing books. Sorry I was not more help as a veteran, lol. I used to get stabbing pains for a few months after he stopped nursing. But it tappered off after about 6 months.

Don't worry, it FLIES BY. Aiden is getting more and more interactive and you will miss those quiet moments just the two of you shared while nursing.

Nikki said...

When you told me it would take months of pain for it to go away I freaked out and called my doctor. She prescribed antibiotics since I was having intense pain, non-stop. It was warm to the touch which is a sign of infection, so bring on the drugs!! I've only been on the meds for two days but I already feel SO MUCH better. I can actually hold my child now. :P

Powered By Blogger