Thursday, February 4, 2010

Allergic

Ever since the pregnancy, I have found that I am allergic to EVERYTHING. I don't know why it is, but it seems like everything sends me into a light-version of hives. And by that, I mean I don't have welts, I just get red, itchy, hot skin. Here are a few items I can recall that seem to send me over the edge:
  • Hot showers
  • Alcohol
  • Earrings
  • Eating anything

Every time I get out of a hot shower, I have itchy patches of red skin on my thighs and knees. And actually, now that I think about it, that skin does get a little welt-like Why? No idea.

Every time I drink alcohol, doesn't matter if it is beer or wine (I have not had liquor since having Aiden, so I am not sure what that would do), both give me hives. That makes me rule out things like hops or tanins, or some other ingredient particular to that beverage.

I absolutely CAN NOT wear heavy earrings anymore. An hour of that and they are in my pocket. If I wear post earrings, they have to come out by the end of the day. Otherwise I wake up the following morning with painful ear lobes.

Eating. This one is tricky. It seems like almost every day at lunch I get a red, itchy head (scalp, face ears) and itchy arms. And here's the kicker: it only seems to happen when I am eating with someone else. We are generally having an upbeat conversation that makes me laugh continually, or at least get animated with the topic. When I am eating a sandwich at home on the weekend with Aiden this never happens.

However, I do not get hives when I am having an animated conversation while not eating - as is evident by my frequent conversations with Rachel throughout the work day. I'm hoping this means I am not allergic to lively conversation.

What is up with this body?! Has anyone ever heard of this before? My ears are burning and I'm fed up.

6 comments:

Alexa said...

I have a friend that got this way...they found it was from being stressed out. She went on some anti-depressant and cured. Not saying that is what it is, but do you find you are more anxious now that you are a mother? I know I am!

Nikki said...

Huh, that's interesting. I don't know if I am more anxious. Depression is in my genes and I've had some issues in the past, but I don't feel that bad right now. I do, however, feel permanently exhausted. The OBGYN recommended seeing an allergist. That's all I need, is MORE DOCTORS.

Jenna said...

Yes, since I have had my kids I can't do certain things. Like I became allergic to shell fish after having my second kid. I can't wear ear rings for very long either, if you ever noticed I hardly don't wear them at all. Crazy how the body changes!

Nikki said...

Oh ya Jenna! I forgot about you becoming allergic to shellfish. The body definitely is a crazy thing. I prefer my pre-allergy body. I could wear earring then. I did notice that you rarely wear earrings, but I didn't know it was because you were allergic!

Alexa said...

No, I didn't mean depression, I meant anxiety. Good Luck with the allergist! I know those weekly shots have helped some friends A LOT!

Nikki said...

Ah, Anxiety - def have that!!!

Powered By Blogger