Friday, February 19, 2010

He's rearin' to go!

I think I am like all mothers in that I believed that my child would walk before he would crawl. It wasn't a random belief, I had some reasoning behind it. Aiden has shown significant interest in standing, and absolutely no interest in getting around on his stomach.

Don't get me wrong - he loves spending time on his belly. The kid tries to flip over onto his front before we've even laid him on the ground. (or changing table, or car seat...) The most movement he's done on his belly has been spinning in circles and an occasional push backwards. He never stays in the same spot when you put him on the ground, but it's not a controlled movement.

Up until now, that is. Last night, I laid Aiden on his tummy on the couch next to me and the kid practically ran (while laying on his stomach) off the couch. It's difficult to explain, but he basically pushed himself off the couch after a series of steps. I was right there to catch him before he catapulted across the gap between the couch and the coffee table to get to the TV remotes, but man was he quick. I pulled him back and he did it again, for Travis to see. Holy cow!

Then this morning, he did it again, but on the ground. I set him on his play mat and he made it all the way to the coffee table (I swear his motive for learning to traverse is getting to those remotes) using his hands and toes. We noticed yesterday, and then again this morning, that he has started to lift his butt a little.

By George I think Aiden will crawl yet!!


Assisted Standing from Nicolette Ward on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you: Matthew never crawled (and still hasn't to this day)! He went from rolling around on the floor on his tummy to walking. I never believed it would happen to him -- though I had always heard that it was possible.

Oh! And we have that same table toy!

Powered By Blogger