Monday, February 15, 2010

Historic House

Travis and I helped Ariel and Robert move into their new house last week. They had a lot of problems with their downstairs neighbor and were forced to move by their landlord. It's irritating as hell because the woman was a bi-polar alcoholic, so she did everything in her power to make Ariel and Robert's lives miserable. Then, the next day she would come by with chips and dip for Ariel's birthday.

In the end, I think the landlord took their neighbor's side because she is a middle-aged woman who lives with her husband and daughter, while Ariel and Robert are the early-twenties couple who both have night jobs (Ariel is a bartender/manager, Robert is a server at a local restaurant). It is a shame that it ended so stressfully, but I think they will feel much better in their new house without sharing the home with anyone else.

They have an entire house all to themselves now: 2 story, 3 bedroom, 1.5 baths, large fenced-in yard and a DISHWASHER! The house was marked down $300/month because no one would rent it at the asking price. The house was tore up a little by Hurricane Ike. After all the repairs, the place looks great and has brand new central AC units (yes, plural). The problem is there are not very many people currently living on the island. There have been too many layoffs and the economy is obviously not on the booming end of the scale. Robert and Ariel are definitely reaping the benefits here.

We helped them move this past Tuesday. We didn't get home and in bed until 11pm. Then I went back the following evening to help move one more load in my car. After the third load going upstairs, I was done. I told Robert, "Sorry, but I'm going to have to put the rest of this stuff in the dining room. I don't think I can physically make it back up those stairs with anything in my hands." I'm pretty sure he believed me because he had to push me up the stairs on that last trip while he was carrying boxes of his own!


Ariel & Robert's New House from Nicolette Ward on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

great house! I love it (except for the whole lack of closet thing) !!

Nikki said...

I think that's probably Ariel's only beef with the place too!

Powered By Blogger