Friday, April 9, 2010

9 Months Old

Aiden's new skills:
  • He can go back and forth from crawling to sitting, back to crawling, with ease. (He practiced in the tub.)
  • He can crawl on his hands and knees, as long as he has bare knees or is on carpet. When he has pants on, he still prefers the army crawl.
  • He finally started eating cereal by hand. Thus far he has stuck to puffs and crackers by hand. He is not that great at wielding the spoon, but he sure tries!

Aiden is currently pushing out a canine tooth on the top, right side. He has no incisors on the top yet - only two on the bottom. That means we're going to have a little vampire on our hands! LOL! I can feel the tip of the tooth, but you can't see it outside the gums yet.

Because of this teething, I was unaware there was anything more wrong with him until he developed a fever of 102.8F Tuesday afternoon at daycare. I tried to set up an appointment with his pediatrician, but they had no openings. Starting at 5:30, his doctor's office turns into an urgent care clinic. I didn't feel like sitting around for an hour waiting, so I took him to the urgent care clinic next door that is open 9am-10pm. They saw us right away and we only had to pay our regular co-pay. I was relieved.

They immediately gave him Motrin to help bring down his fever and then the doctor saw him. After a quick once over, he determined Aiden had an ear infection. They gave us some Pedialyte (Travis met me there when he got off work) to give him while the Motrin had some time to work. When they checked his temperature again 10 minutes later, it was down to 99.0, the doctor called in a prescription for Omnicef and sent us home.

I called Aiden's daycare to see if it would be okay for him to go to school the following day, since their normal requirement is a wait of 24 hours after a fever develops before he is allowed back. They said yes. Unfortunately, they will not give any medications unless they are prescription. That meant he would not have any Motrin or Tylenol to ease the ear infection pain all day. I had already told my boss I wouldn't be in Wednesday, so I opted to just stay home with Aiden.

Wednesday morning we got up at the normal time for Aiden's first feeding. I laid him down for his nap at 8:30, but he didn't fall asleep until 9. I decided to lay down for a nap with him. I forgot to set my alarm, so I didn't wake up until 11:30am. AHHH! I took a two and a half hour nap first thing in the morning!! I had made plans to meet with Travis for lunch at noon and I knew we wouldn't make that. I called him to push back our lunch date. I am so glad we made it, because we sat outside at a Mediterranean restaurant and soaked in the sun.

After lunch we took a walk down the Strand, a street lined with shops and restaurants. Aiden loves being outdoors - it makes him smile every time. After our walk, we stopped at Target to pick up a bunch of baby stuff. We started getting all of Aiden's diapers and formula from there and I am surprised to say that I actually like their brand!

It was hard to go back to work Thursday. I felt like I had a short weekend and then had to go back to work early. I gave Aiden Motrin right before bringing him to school. His teachers assured me that he did great all day. He drank both of his bottles and took both of his naps. That means he was feeling good - THANK GOODNESS.

TGIF!

3 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

Poor kid. I hope he gets better soon. I think I am beginning to see some teeth in Landry...I hope that is what is bothering her. I dont know. She isn't running a fever but she is cranky and tired a lot (probably because she is taking really long naps and not sleeping at night)! I guess we will have to wait it out. At least its Friday and you have all weekend to spend with your little man!

Alexa said...

I am so happy he seems to be feeling better! Ear infections are so tough.

Nikki said...

It's so hard with babies because they can't just tell you what is wrong with them. I hope it's teething too, Sara!

Powered By Blogger