Thursday, April 22, 2010

Weekend Saga Continues...

Saturday night we made last minute plans to meet Zach and Linsey for dinner and drinks at a bar and grill in Galveston called Yaga's. They had spent the day attending the Galveston Food and Wine Festival, which was in the "park" right next to Yaga's. We met them and another couple around 7 and had our meal.

After dinner we decided to check out the ArtWalk that is held every 6 weeks in downtown Galveston. It's one of those things that I wish I had known about when we lived in the area. Although, for all I know, it might not have been held then - that was three years ago. The ArtWalk is when all the businesses on Postoffice (the street we used to live on) open their walls to local artists to show their work. Then they serve wine to all that come to view the art.

We didn't get to see much because it ends at 9pm, but I was very impressed with the first artist we checked out. After Hurricane Ike, most of the Live Oak trees that give the island it's signature look were assumed lost to the saltwater that flooded the island for days. The artist, Rachel Stegall, had a series of photos that she took of all the tree stumps from these trees. Interesting concept.

Not featured at the ArtWalk, but related, are the tree stump carvings that are showing up all over the island. Individuals who chose to, left the trunk of these trees in the ground and later had an artist come carve them in their rooted home. I've seen the mermaid one near where I park at work - check them out if you have a minute.

After the ArtWalk we headed to a pub for a couple drinks. We got lucky and Linsey knew the bartender, so we got the VIP treatment. Gotta love special treatment. Ha! Travis and I headed out at 10pm to pick up Aiden from his boss' house. His boss' wife, Sue, loves watching our little man, so we know we can count on her any time we are in Galveston. Sadly, Aiden would not go to sleep at their house, so he was still awake when we got there at 10:30!!! Ahhh!!!

To make up for a little lost sleep, we let Aiden sleep in the next morning, but he only took an extra hour. Works for me though! I'll sleep in until 7 any day!!

OH YA! Forgot to mention - Travis quit his job at Home Depot on Saturday!!! The main reason he took the job was to help us out since there were no opportunities for overtime at his main job. Since things have really been picking up with the electrical company, he decided to back out of Home Depot. They were very nice about the whole thing even though Travis didn't give a two-week notice. His ex-boss said he could come back anytime.

I am sure that Travis was burned out working so many hours. He said that he missed being able to spend time with Aiden and I. I never wanted him to take the job in the first place, but I knew if I told Travis 'no' that he would hold it over my head that I wouldn't let him do it. So, I let him figure it out on his own. Glad that's over!

No more Home Depot meant Daddy was home all day Sunday! I let him sleep in, since it was his first day off in two months. He got up around 10:30 and felt like crap. I think his body was freaking out about having too much sleep. I know it wasn't from drinking the night before, because neither of us got out of control. It's tough to do that these days, knowing that you have to be up early the next day to deal with a baby. There's no time for a hangover in our house!

Sunday afternoon we went for a walk and tried out the new car-push-toy that Aiden got from Chris and Alexa. I think he really liked it. I know I did. It felt like he was more a part of our walk, as opposed to tied up in his stroller with only a 180 degree view of the walk. I am pretty sure that he was ecstatic about being on Callaway's level.

After the walk, Go Mode continued. I put Aiden down for his nap and went out to the yard to do some work. Travis was finally feeling a little better, so he helped by pulling some out of control weeds in our yard while I planted the Nasturtium seedlings I started a month ago. They are just a few inches tall, but they seem to be doing well. I ran out of soil and still have a few more to plant, which I am hoping to get to this weekend. I need to pick up some decorative grass to put in a few of the pots so that there is more depth to the planters. I LOVE SPRING!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger