Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pig Roast at the Russians'

I've mentioned one of my co-workers, Zhenya, on here a few times. A couple weekends ago, her and her husband Kostya had a pig roast at their house. Yup, they drove up to Houston, brought home an entire pig in a cooler and cooked that pig for about 8 hours on a spit in their backyard. I took a few photos, so if you are weak in the stomach, I recommend skipping this post...

Here are the hosts, Zhenya and Kostya (sporting a Russian smile):



Travis was working that day (of course), so Rachel helped me out with the kiddo a bit.



And, dun dun DUNNNN! The pig:


This whole thing was a little weird, but I was totally grossed out when I asked why some of the skin was gone. Apparently people had been eating the crisped skin all afternoon. Sorry, but I've never been a fan of pork rinds and this disgusted me to no end.

They had to put a bracket around the vertebral column to hold it to the bar of the spit all day. Before they cut it up for us to eat, they had to unscrew the bracket, hence the screw drivers. They eventually grabbed a drill... LOL!


I had a little trouble watching the cutting. Then I couldn't get myself to go grab some meat. The sliced portion was sitting between the legs that had been removed and the remains of the pig. Too much for me, so Scott grabbed Rachel and I some meat. It was absolutely delicious! Just like a pork roast. Ha. Guess that's what it was huh - a roasted pig. What I was referring to, though, is the piece of meat that you roast in your oven in a pan.

At the end of the feast, while Aiden was taking his nap in the house, I partook in several of the desserts.... mini strawberry cheesecakes, Andes mint brownies (courtesy of Rachel), chocolate covered toasted soy nuts... mmmmm.... I really need to start controlling myself or I am never going to lose this baby weight!

Anyhoo, here are my comatose homies soaking up the last few drops of sun as it sets behind the neighbor's house.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

awww. I'll help with him whenever. I heart aiden!!! :)

Alexa said...

I remember going to a HUGE pig roast at my brother's fraternity in college. I was grossed out and could not eat it...something about seeing its face just does not sit right.

Also, was so excited to hear Aiden is walking with that thing! That is how Blair learned how to walk so early, so WATCH OUT! He's gonna get strong fast now!

Powered By Blogger