Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In the 90's

One year at Christmas time, we went out hunting for our tree.  Found the perfect one, tied it to the top of our van and made our way home.  When we got home, my dad trimmed the tree outside, then brought it in the living room to put in the tree stand. 

By this point, it was dark.  A few moments later, a bat was flying frantically around the house.  We all ducked, the cats went nuts trying to chase the flying creature and my parents did some quick thinking.  If I remember correctly, they attempted to coax the bat out the door using a broom at first.  When that didn't work, they moved on to a blanket.  They opened it up and held it vertically to push the bat toward the door.  Worked like a charm. 

I have to give my mom props for doing that because I really don't think I would have handled it well.  I have a severe fear of bugs or any flying creature getting stuck in my hair.  Just thinking about it gives me the chills.  After my parents divorced, my mom moved into another home.  There was a red bud tree at her front door that used to get swarmed by Japanese beetles (they look like black shiny June bugs) every summer.  There were so many that they used to land on the front screen door.  For a little while, our garage door keypad stopped working so the only option was to enter the front door. 

Traumatized me for life.

Looks like someone else had a creature problem this year:

No comments:

Powered By Blogger