Friday, December 23, 2011

School Lunch

I can't remember if I have posted about this before.  So if I have, please forgive me.  I have been reading through the archives of a blog titled Fed Up With Lunch.  It's written by a teacher that ate the school-provided lunch at the elementary school she worked at every day for a year.  She chronicles her daily meals, how they made her feel, what students had to say about it, etc.  She also mentions that the kids only have 20 minutes to get to the cafeteria, collect their food, cut it, eat, then get back to class.  Most of the meals look horrible.  That's not what my school lunches looked like.  Ours were cooked in an oven in bulk, then scooped out into each tray.  These meals just look icky. 

I've been getting very interested in school lunches as Aiden is getting closer to attending school.  I've seen some of the food they prepare at his daycare, and it's not too bad.  Definitely doesn't look like the stuff in this blog.  I always enjoyed "hot lunches" when I was in grade school.  It would be nice if Aiden was able to enjoy the same thing, but if the food looks anything like this at the school I may have to make his lunch more often than not.

After Mrs. Q (the blogger's pen name) finishes her year (which was published in book form as well), she begins documenting the food she sends to school with her preschool-aged son.

How did you guys feel about your school lunches?  Or did you bring your own lunch every day?

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I LOVED my school lunches. However, with both of my kids in school, they both pack everyday. They have tried the school lunches and just can't get pasted them. So, 5 days a week I pack their lunch. I am amazed that they don't get tired of eating salads and sandwiches. That is all they really can take since they have no means to heat their food up. But, they don't complain at all, I guess because they know what the other choice is.. and they won't go near that food! Both of my kids have been packing their lunches since they started school. Sometimes, I wish they would eat the school food, just so I can get a break of packing their lunches everyday! LOL

Sara's Satire said...

I remember having some pretty good school lunches. My dad gave us $2 every day for our lunch...which was 45 minutes long. At our school we had options though. We had a salad bar, or the hot lunches. I have to say that I ate the same thing every day...a veggie tray (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and radishes) and candy bar and a coke. I wasn't really worried about health - obviously! My parents weren't really concerned either, considering we ate fast food for dinner every night.

I will probably be a more concious about what my kids eat at school. I will most likely send sandwiches and salads and maybe I can bring something warm to them once a week or something! I guess I will find out next year when Logan starts school.

Powered By Blogger