Monday, December 7, 2009

Feline Fervor

I know I've talked about this before, but it's been about a year so I thought it worth another mention. My cats go CRAZY when their food or water is out. Let me rephrase that, when it comes to their food, they get P-O'd when it is almost gone. Generally I'm lucky and this happens during waking hours and it's not that big of a deal. Now that I've looked back, it appears that about once a year it happens at night.

Usually when this happens at night, I will actually GET OUT OF BED to feed the cats. Because I know that if I just get it over with, the animals will leave me alone. But if I resist, as I did last night, those damn cats make sure I don't get more than 30 minutes of consecutive sleep at a time. And here I thought that was Aiden's job.

I was so irritable by the time I got up this morning that immediately after letting out Callaway the first thing I did was fill up the cat food dispenser. On my way back to the hallway, I heard a crash come from the extra bathroom. I immediately run (or at least it felt like running at 5:05am) to find what the cats had trashed and it turned out to be a vase on the back of the toilet. The cats RARELY go in that bathroom and when they do it is usually because one of us are in there. Somehow, Sagira had managed to get into the bathroom (the door is usually closed), climb on the back of the toilet and shatter a vase full of dried eucalyptus. I'm pretty sure that was her way of saying "Hurry up woman. The food has almost run out." No time - I'll clean that up later.

Since pouring the cat food makes a lot of noise, I went back to close the bedroom door. Because the cats like to irritate me in Food Loss Scenarios they followed me into the bedroom when I was going to close said door. I tried to stop them from coming in because I knew they would flip out as soon as I poured the food, but Sagira did some Matrix-style maneuvers to make sure she got INTO the bedroom. Fine, I thought. You can stay in the bedroom.

Sure enough, the second food hit that dish (which was NOT empty by the way), Sagira was yowling away in the bedroom. When I finished what I was doing, I opened the door to find her standing on Travis' nightstand, knocking everything off and doing exactly what I was trying to avoid doing: waking up Travis.

And do you want to know the kicker?! Not one cat went into the closet to eat that damn food. NOT ONE. I guess they just go into survival mode: QUICK, Phage and Bella, you go wake up the people by attacking their feet and laying on their pillow directly next to their face! Our food MIGHT run out in the next three hours!! In the meantime, I can trash the house in search of MORE FOOD. Let's look under that glass vase on the back of the toilet in the bathroom! Let's look under everything on the nightstand! Let's look under the peoples' heads as they SLEEP.

If you don't know my cats, that means Sagira is their leader. When it comes to survival, the wild Bengal takes the lead.

Ugh. It's another coffee-day.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

I don't know how you do it...I am a big animal lover, but I would have football kicked one across the house if they would've awoken me as a mother to a 6 month old, lol...

Nikki said...

I think I would feel a little less stressed about the animals if we had the guts to give up Bella. But we don't, sooooooooooooooo. =(

Powered By Blogger