Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The day that puts stores in the black

The rest of the weekend was great for me.  Sadly, Travis had to work all day Friday and most of Saturday.  Aiden and I had it off.  At the beginning of the week, I noticed that Aiden was acting really cranky and he had a little cough when he first woke up.  I was checking his temperature every morning.  Monday it was normal, Tuesday it was a degree high, Wednesday it was at 100 degrees.  When Travis was getting him dressed, he pointed to his ear and said it was ouchy.  How amazing is that?  He told us what was bothering him!  That has never happened!  In the past, we knew something was wrong because he wasn't eating, or he was cranky, or he slept a lot.  But we had to go to the doctor to figure out what it was.  Sometimes we never really found out exactly what the problem was.  He's totally growing up. 

I'm sure someone will frown on this.  I took him to daycare that morning.  I gave him ibuprofen before we left the house, but I had so much to do at work that I had to get in.  I was hoping they wouldn't call me before noon to come pick him up.  I got my wish.  I was able to get him after work and take him to Urgent Care.  I called that morning and his regular doctor's office was busy all day.  I'm not surprised, being that it was the day before a holiday.

We waited for about two hours I think.  It seemed like forever.  There was a woman in the waiting room with a little boy, 3 or 4 years old I would guess.  He was sleeping on a chair by the fish tank - Aiden's favorite area.  So of course every time Aiden went back there and would try to talk to me (talk, not yell or scream), the mom would shush him and say, "He's sleeping.  Shhhhh."  Gah.  I understand that sometimes it can seem so important that your child sleep, but geez lady.  He was just saying, "Fish, Mommy?" as he was pointing at the fish tank.  I tried to keep him out of that back waiting area from then on, but I didn't try too hard.

Sure enough, Aiden had an ear infection.  I'm so happy we were able to get medication for that before the 4-day weekend.  Thanksgiving could have been a lot more difficult. 

So!  Friday morning, I got up BEFORE DAWN and tried out a little Black Friday shopping.  It was my first time to go out the day after Thanksgiving.  Honestly I was a little nervous.  You always here about people getting trampled to death for a $10 toaster.  I didn't want that to be me. 

I only went to a few stores and only one of them was right at opening.  Shoe Carnival opened at 5 am and gave out $10 off gift cards to the first 100 people.  My friends and I made it in the first 100!  Plus, they were having great shoe sales.  I've wanted to buy boots since last winter, but could never get over the guilt of such a large purchase.  The cheapest boots I could find were $60 at Target.  If you went to a department store or DSW, forget it.  You'd be spending $100-200.  As much as I want boots, I'd rather have groceries. 

Back to Black Friday - I bought a pair of $60 brown boots (up to my knee) for 50% off, plus my $10 off gift card.  I got a pair of boots for $20!!  Can't beat that.  Totally made my morning exhaustion-caused nausea worth it.  After we all made our purchases, we went to the Sephora next door.  We also stopped at Walmart, but I didn't buy anything else.  I had what I wanted and was just along for the ride at that point. 

I was home, in bed by 6:45.  I had to be home by 7 because that's when Travis leaves for work.  I was sure that Aiden would wake up when I got home and I wouldn't be able to get anymore sleep.  But I was wrong!  I got to sleep in until 8:30.  Then Aiden climbed in bed with me and we watched Transformers.  The rest of the day was pretty lazy.  That evening we went to the Ramby's for dinner.  Alexa made a Thanksgiving casserole using leftovers that was absolutely amazing.  She heated up some gravy that we poured on top of each serving.  If I ever have enough leftovers to make that, I'll totally be doing it in the future.  Mmmmm...

More later.  I don't want to overwhelm you with my play-by-play's.  Cheers!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger