Thursday, May 10, 2012

Particularly Short-Fused

My body has been a little off since last night.  I've been having some abdominal discomfort.  Part of it is an increase in the number of contractions and part of it is I think Mila has begun using her head as a battering ram against my lower abdomen.  I say discomfort because it's not painful like a cut or full blown contractions, but it's definitely not pleasant.  I've been timing my contractions since last night.  I knew they weren't regularly spaced or timed, but I have an OB appointment today and I know the doctor will ask about that.  Now I can give her a more definite answer. 

This morning I got REALLY hot while I was getting ready for work.  I also keep getting extremely short-breathed and I feel nauseous or dizzy when I stand up.  I was sitting on the toilet when Travis walked in this morning and I said I wished there was a mirror in front of this toilet so I could do my hair from here.  Travis proceeded to find a mirror and prop it up on the shelf towards me.  Granted, it was 4 feet away.  I didn't care though.  I used it.

Because of this added discomfort, I am feeling more than cranky today.  I am normally very friendly, so I'm actually feeling some guilt over my actions.  Here are a few of the things that have rubbed me wrong this morning:
  • I noticed when the neighbor mowed his lawn (on the riding mower) he left a patch of long grass between our yard and his.  What the hell?
  • When I got to Aiden's daycare, the lunch lady stopped to chat with me like she does occasionally.  Normally I like to talk to with her, but today I just barrelled past mumbling about being really tired today.
  • Honestly, I'm not up for smiling, so anyone that tries to chat with me about the belly makes want to punch them in the face.
  • Aiden got his daycare pictures back this week (this is the first year he smiled for them!) so I stopped at the front desk to pay for the photos.  That's when the director asked me why Aiden wasn't going to his dance recital in a couple weeks.  Mostly, it's because we are short on cash these days and I'm irritated that we have to spend $45 on ugly shorts and a t-shirt with the dance company's name on it.  But it's also because the recital is the week after I'm due.  I didn't feel like paying money for something we might not get a chance to use if I'm in the hospital giving birth to a baby.  I was so annoyed that I had to defend myself because she kept trying to find ways for us to work around it.  UGH.
  • Then when I got to work today, I had to walk up two flights of stairs.  Of course a contraction started before I got to the stairs, but I decided to try to walk through it.  The damn contraction lasted almost three minutes - the entire duration of climbing the stairs. 
I wish my dad was here.  If he was, I would totally have the doctor strip the membranes at my appointment this afternoon.  It doesn't sound particularly awesome, but at this point I don't care.  Since we are relying on my dad to watch Aiden while we go into the hospital, I'm going to wait until next week.  At the moment, he is planning to come Wednesday.  I CAN'T WAIT.

Last night I convinced Travis to give me a foot rub.  It was the most fabulous thing I have experienced EVER.  I'm fairly certain of that. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nikki, you're handling this like a champ! This time in 2 weeks it'll be all over (*presumably*)! Just remember to do things for YOU! Take a break WHENEVER you need it, use the TV (ahh, my best friend of late), and put those damn feet up. And if someone accuses you of being bitchy or lazy, flip them the bird.

Nikki said...

Flipping the bird does sound pretty fantastic right now. I'm thinking this added estrogen in my system is fueling my anger.

Powered By Blogger