Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Baby Boom

It's official. Travis and I are the last of our friends to have a baby. Hell, even my cousins are doing it. This is going to be a tough one to write since most of the friends I am referencing here read this blog. My best friend Chrissie (from Illinois) called me just after Christmas to tell me that her and her husband were going to start trying to have a baby. Well, here we are one month later and she's pregnant already! I am so excited for her, but I had this little person in the back of my head reassuring me that she might not get pregnant for another year. I know that's a horrible thing to think, but I am so sad that I don't get to be there to experience that with her. I told her I will be home in June, so she's going to try to get her baby shower set for around that time. I'm REALLY hoping I'll be able to make it to that.

Now that everyone I know is pregnant or already with child, many of them have started to ask when Travis and I will be starting our own family. There are a few reasons why we are choosing not to get pregnant yet. One - Travis is not ready. He is two years my junior and this might be the first and only time this age difference has affected us. Two - We decided many years ago that we wanted to wait until I was in my late 20's before starting because we want to get all our selfishness out of the way. By selfish, I mean we want to go out to dinner or a movie whenever we want and go to the bar with friends. Or whatever else comes up randomly. Now here's the HUGE fault with this selfish plan: we can't go out with our friends like we used to because they all have kids. When we made this decision I didn't think about the fact that everyone else might not be in the same boat as us. Don't get me wrong here. I am soooo excited for everyone. If anything I'm borderline jealous. I guess this is number three - it is so important to me to be near family whenever Travis and I start ours. Growing up, family has always been a large part of my life and I cherish that. I want this for our children as well.

I suppose that maybe this is all a good thing. Travis and I won't have as much pressure to go out, so maybe we'll be able to pay off some of the credit card debt that's been looming over us. Although, I'm going to have to buy stuff for all the new little ones that will be running around. I can't go into Target anymore without perusing the baby section. I had a dream last night that I was pregnant. In this dream, I went out into the garage and because it was so quiet out there I could hear the baby crying in my belly. It was the strangest thing. Then the baby dropped and it hurt, like a gas pain. Then I woke up and realized I was really having painful intestinal movement. Awesome. The night before that I had a dream I was babysitting someone's infant and I fell asleep. The mother was so livid with me. She showed me around her house to see all the dangers I left the baby open to. She had cliffs and mountains in her house. Who doesn't? When she was showing me around, her baby fell off one of these cliffs and her feet fell off when she hit the bottom but she was alive. There was no blood, she was more like a doll. Can anyone tell me what these dreams mean? Too wierd for me.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Sounds like you are thinking about being pregnant and being a mother! I think the instinct kicks in pretty fast after you get pregnant and feel the baby kick. You just want to do everything you can to protect it, even before it is here!

Anonymous said...

I will have to say the dreams are pretty werid! =D But I think that it is just because there is so much baby talk lately. The only advice I can offer you is, you learn as you go. It is all brand new, and the best way to learn is through experience.

Powered By Blogger