Friday, February 22, 2008

Lingering Sweetness

The other night when the smoke detectors went off, Callaway was frantic. I was so sleepy, yet wired from adrenaline, that all my focus was on the possibility of a fire. As soon as the chaos was over, I was determined to go back to sleep. Therefore, Callaway fell through the cracks for the moment. Last night, when Travis was putting the smoke detectors back up Callaway started walking back and forth around our bed with his ears perked up. Travis had to test them to make sure they were still working. The moment he pushed the tester, Callaway ran over to where I was sitting in bed reading. I know it is bittersweet because he was scared, but he sat down with his head resting on the bed and let me pet him!!

This was a once in a lifetime treat, I'm sure of it. If you have met Callaway then you know how he can be, but to those of you who do not know him he is a licker. He constantly has to be licking someone. It is extremely obnoxious and it drives both Travis and I nuts. Not to mention anyone who comes to visit. If you try to pet him, his mouth follows your hand until it is within licking distance and then you get a bath. I've told Travis before that I think all of the bad things Callaway does would not bother me as much if he would just let me love on him. I can't pet him or hug him without the risk of being slobbered on. Actually, you can't even pet his head without holding his muzzle in place. I've mentioned this before, I think in my first entry. He's been on fish oil for many weeks now and I don't think it's working for him.

So last night was a fleeting look at the dog I wished I could have. It was nice while it lasted.

Oh and a random thought... check out these pics I took the other night of Logan at Travis and JR's softball game. He can eat cereal on his own and drink out of a straw now! His birthday is coming up - March 23rd.





No comments:

Powered By Blogger