Monday, October 12, 2009

A Decade

Who would have thought that 10 years after my first date with Travis, I would be taking our son to his first day of daycare? Landmark date all around.

Travis and I went on our first official date October 12, 1999. I was a senior and Travis was a sophomore. Teehee. It's crazy to hear the number 10, but at the same time I feel like I've been with Travis all of my life. When you think about it, we've actually been together for almost half our lives. Woh. We usually go out to dinner at Olive Garden to commemorate our favorite restaurant when we were in high school. We can't go tonight, but hopefully we'll find time this weekend or maybe even later this week.

I also mentioned up there that today is Aiden's first day at daycare. I am so much more nervous about this "first" day than I was when I brought him to the sitter's house six weeks after Aiden was born. I sort of feel bad, like I'm starting him off in his school career already. He will spend the next 18 years of his life in a place like this daycare; and hopefully for another four years after that!

I was sad to pick up Aiden for the last time at his sitter's last week. It was such a homey atmosphere. But, things were still not the way I wanted them to be there. When I told the daycare teacher that we don't rock Aiden to sleep, she sort of freaked out a little. In turn, that freaked me out. The normal teacher, the one that I talked to before we made the official decision to switch to them, has today off. She didn't seem fazed in the least when I told her that we don't rock Aiden to sleep. Needless to say, I will be calling to check in at lunch to see how the first nap time went. Oh man the anxiety.

Aiden had a rough weekend. I dropped a cell phone on the side of his head while I was breastfeeding him first thing in the morning. I held my breath while I waited for the scream that never came. I think that scared me more than a cry would. Later that day I scratched his face with my thumb nail when I was picking him up. It only had a small welt for a little while, but I felt horrible nonetheless. Then, this morning when Travis was getting Aiden ready for school, he dropped a soft toy on his belly. Again, he didn't cry, but we can't help but feel bad when we do these stupid things. I'm proud to say we have not dropped the kid yet and I hope to never do so!!

2 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

poor Aiden!!!! I am sure he will do great at daycare. Hopefully they will be able to accomodate your needs as a family better than the sitter did. Hope it all works out for you guys!
Congrats on the 10 years....Gosh how old was Travis when this all began??? 12??? LOL just kidding!!!

Nikki said...

Uh, close! He was 15 actually. LOL!

Powered By Blogger