Friday, October 16, 2009

Drunk in Public

Have you ever heard that stand up comedy routine by Ron White about being drunk in public? He tells this story about how he got a ticket for being drunk in public. Problem is he wasn't drunk in public, he was drunk in a bar. Until the bouncer threw him out in public, that is. Every time he uses the word "public", he enunciates each syllable so it comes out more like PUB LICK.

For some reason I think of the way he said PUB LICK every time I remember that I breastfed Aiden for the first time in PUB LICK. !!!* On Sunday, Travis and I went with Ariel and Robert to a pumpkin patch on a farm west of Houston. They had horses, peacocks, a petting zoo and plenty of pumpkins for sale. It had rained a bit the preceding days, so the land was quite mucky. That's a great word for it. Every time I took a step and nearly lost my shoe to the mud, it definitely made a *muck* sound.

After spending several hours outdoors, we were all famished. To solve our dilemma, we decided to stop and try out the $20 deal at Chili's (we're big fans of Chili's). Our time at the restaurant corresponded perfectly with one of Aiden's feedings. Instead of sitting all by my lonesome out in the car, I decided to rough it in the restaurant. Rest assured that I kept myself pretty hidden from PUB LICK eye. I sat in the corner, placed the baby car seat in front of me on the table and took full advantage of the Hooter Hider. I'm not sure that even the server knew what I was doing.

Aiden is extremely efficient at breastfeeding now, so it never takes longer than 10 minutes. Then we supplement with a three-ounce bottle, which I trade off with Travis so we can share the feeding duties. Despite hiding myself all but completely, I am proud of myself for finally breastfeeding my son in PUB LICK.

*Just so you know, whenever I use three stand alone exclamation marks, you can assume I'm raising my eyebrows in amazement or disbelief during that pause.


Oh the faces that boy makes.

"Dad, what exactly are we doing here again?"

Don't you just love his dinosaur hoodie?


"Hee-aww! Hee-aww!"

This guy was my favorite animal there by far. I couldn't stop saying "donkey" with a british accent like Shrek.



Some of those pumpkins were bigger than Aiden!!


Our new family.


Ariel and her family (sans Toby)


In the petting zoo.



Even though he was freakin cute, I still have a slight fear of birds. Ariel handled this one alone.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger