Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Having an Off Morning

Have you ever had a series of irritating things happen to you, so irritating in fact that you cannot believe that they all happened in a row? (Shannon - don't even answer that question.) I have. Multiple times. This morning being a fine example. There was this one day, several years ago, where the individual experiences were so bizarre that I had to take a step back and hope that a refrigerator didn't fall on my head.

This all happened back when I worked as a receptionist at a veterinary clinic, while I was in college. Freak Out #1. I was on my way to work one morning and I stopped to drop off a video at the rental store. When I pulled out of my parking space and headed towards the street, some guy comes running out from between the other parked cars, jumps in front of my car and starts waving his hands frantically for me to stop. Not that I had a choice, as he was in my path, but I was also worried that someone might be hurt. He had come running from the direction of the strip mall stores, so I thought maybe someone inside was in trouble. I stopped my car and cracked my window (you never know who's a crazo these days) to see what the problem was. The guy runs up to my window and, ready for it? ASKS IF I HAVE ANY SPARE CHANGE.

What?! Are you joking me?! I thought someone was dying! And you just want to take my money for free?! There are many, many bums, or vagrants, or whatever you want to call them, scattered around the island. I learned quickly that it is better to through them a sandwich than it is money. I have seen the same bum, repeatedly sitting outside my apartment building with a brown bag in his hand. I know what's in there. So don't try to convince me that you are hungry and you need money to buy food. You may be hungry, but I have a feeling you're going to the liquor store first. No thanks. I work hard for my money, and it's not so some stranger can use my cash to get drunk. I'll be the first to do that, thank you very much!

Anyhoo, I looked at the guy like he was crazy, because he is, and tell him flat out "no, I don't have any money for you." I defiantly roll up my window and start to drive off, when I hear the guy scream "Well get a job then!" Anger flashed and I instantly slammed on my breaks. I had half a mind to throw the car in reverse and explain to the guy that I was the one wearing scrubs on my way to work, while he was the one begging innocent, young women for money at 7 in the morning. But then I thought twice and slowly drove off. The look in the guy's face in my rear view mirror when I stopped was priceless though.

Freak Out #2. I had planned to also stop at the convenience store across from the vet clinic for a Coke. So after I parked my car, I crossed the street and headed towards the door. And who do I see standing in front of the building? A bum/vagrant/whatever holding an iguana by it's tail out in front of him. Or what was left of the tail, I should say.

Freak Out #3. I took a wide path to avoid the man plus iguana, and headed into the store. I opened the door to the cooler to grab my Coke and a Palmetto bug, AKA giant cockroach, falls from the top of the cooler to the ground. I closed the door and just walked out of the store without my Coke. I needed to get somewhere safe, and quick. Who knows what else could have happened?!

This morning has not been quite so bizarre, but it was annoying. I dropped the Murano off at the dealership last night (thanks for the ride JR!), so this morning I had to drop Travis at work before I could go to my work. I checked my purse to make sure I had the keys to his truck and then grabbed all my stuff to head out the door. Of course, I hadn't thought to get out the keys to the house (which I keep on a different key ring), so I was fumbling through my purse with my hands already full. I finally gave up, went in the house to set everything down to sift through my tiny purse that suddenly feels like Mary Poppins' bag. That's when I realize I HAD already taken out the keys to the house and they were in the pocket of my jacket. Duh.

We locked the doors and head out to Travis' truck. Travis drove to the island, because he knows how much I hate driving his massive truck. I realized when we were on the road that I no longer had my set of keys to Travis' truck. Not the end of the world, except that I have to make sure to be home when Travis gets there otherwise he can't get in our house because I would have his set. Oh and I made myself car sick while searching through all my stuff while Travis drove.

THEN I realize I forgot to get my parking tag from the Murano before I dropped it off. I'm hoping that the Meter Maid isn't lurking in the parking lots yet (they weren't monitoring the lots after Ike) and I won't have to deal with a ticket when I get out of work today.

I was thankful I didn't hit anything while driving Travis truck from his work to mine this morning. I have absolutely no experience maneuvering large vehicles. Although I should probably go knock on wood because I still have to drive the thing to the grocery store after work in hopes of finding a turkey under 18 pounds. Jenna gave me a coupon for a free turkey that is good for 10-16lbs. Not to mention we don't need 18 pounds of turkey, which is all the first grocery store had.

Yup. I'm going hunting for turkey after work.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger