Monday, November 3, 2008

Thanks to the Ramby's


Travis and I had a rather uneventful weekend. Saturday Travis worked all day and I sat around the house catching up on my recorded shows on TV. Sunday was nice because Travis was off from work. I keep telling him that I know it's nice to have the overtime pay he's getting, but I can't wait until he has a full weekend off again. There are a few things falling through the cracks at our house that need to be taken care of that I cannot do. The most important being our cabinets. They seem to be separating from the ceiling. I asked Travis how to fix it and it requires adding support in the ceiling above the cabinets, which means a trip into the attic. I am not good with that sort of thing, so I'm not even going to attempt it. I worry about the cabinets falling, not only because we would loose all of our plates and glassware, but because everything underneath it would probably be destroyed too - coffee pot, counter top, etc. If it gets any worse I'm going to have to take everything out and just leave it on the counter. =(

The problem is that with his one day off a week he likes to wash his car, give Callaway a bath, catch up on laundry and mow the lawn. And then, of course a little time for football and relaxation. This leaves little time for projects around the house. He doesn't even have time to do this in the evening after work because he works so late. Eh, we'll figure it out...

This Saturday, we went up to Chris and Alexa's house first thing to pick up a shelf that they no longer want. It was nice to visit with Alexa's parents who are in town from Ohio. They have helped out a bunch with getting the house back together. I couldn't believe the place actually looked like a home again! Funny part is they still don't have a kitchen sink yet. Well, not so funny for Alexa who has been washing bottles in the sink in the bathroom. Oh! And Blair can crawl. Holy crap. It amazes me how fast kids grow. It's only been a week since I've seen him and he's crawling forward on all fours and can pull himself up on furniture and sturdy toys. Seriously.

Anyhoo, back to the shelf. I was really nervous about getting it home. It is REALLY tall, so we were thinking about leaning it sideways in the bed of the truck. But Alexa's neighbor, who used to be a truck driver and therefore knows mucho about tying down loads, recommended leaving it straight up. I could not believe how sturdy it ended up. We had NO problems the entire ride home. We were even able to go the speed limit!

There were plenty of people to help load the shelf into the truck at Alexa's. Getting it out and into our house was the problem. We were hoping JR would be able to help us (I have almost no upper body strength), but he wasn't home when we got there. It worked out okay because Travis mowed the lawn and by the time he was finished, JR was back. The boys brought the shelf in the house and I took care of the rest. The shelf is so big that I worry about it looking too busy. I kept rearranging everything, until I finally decided to give up for the night and wait to see what I think when I get home again tonight.


I love it. Now if I could just work out the accessories. I would like to put more books in it, but I don't have enough. I have a huge bookshelf in the office that is already hogging all the books. Hmmm... This could be an excuse to buy more.

Shannon and her daughter Caty stayed the night with us last night. Caty stayed the weekend here, so Shannon had to pick her up. To avoid driving at night, they stayed at our house. Shannon said she thinks the shelf doesn't look too cluttered. I don't know though...

1 comment:

Alexa said...

I love it! It looks so good against that color wall! I really like how you put the white cubes....you are doing it justice. It looks great in your home. Oh yeah...I have a pile of books I want you to look through to see if you want any.

Powered By Blogger