Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Excellent Weekend Weather

This weekend was AWESOME. Travis had Saturday AND Sunday off! It worked out good in a way because I had to go into work for an hour on Saturday. When I got back (right as Travis was laying Aiden down), I ate lunch, then we both worked outside for the rest of the day. We did a few home repairs and then Travis started working on an elevated garden. He built the framework for that and for a compost pile. We still need to get soil to fill the garden, but we have already started filling the compost pile.

We decided to put it on the opposite side of the garage from the house. That way, we can block it off from Callaway. We did that for two reasons: 1) I don't know if Callaway will try to dig in it and I will be really annoyed if he makes this harder on us somehow, and 2) I don't want him peeing on our veggies. I read that it is best to have a south facing garden, so this was an ideal location. It is 6' x 12' and we are planning to make it a salsa garden. We are going to try growing some from seeds and some from seedlings that we'll buy directly from the store. I'd also really like to plant a lime tree next to the garden.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly. Ariel and Robert started a veggie garden last year and it has done really well.

We recently began recycling. I feel best about recycling plastics. I know it's irrational, but I can't stop thinking about the plastic island in the Pacific! I am amazed to see how much plastic we go through: shampoo, dressing, milk, yogurt, cleaners, lotion... the list goes on! We're extending this new recycling kick into the world of compostables. Then we can mix it in our garden!

While Travis was working on building the garden, I washed my car. When I finished that, I walked around the yard and pulled some weeds. The weather was too nice not to be outside enjoying it.


When Aiden woke up from his nap, we sat outside while he ate his snack. Then we watched Dada working for a bit. Aiden was very interested in all his tools. It reminded me of when I was little, following my dad around when he did work around the house or at various job sites he ran.

When Travis was done working, he stayed outside to play with Aiden while I went inside to do some cleaning. There were a few chores that were long overdue. It's always nice to come home to a clean house, so I was actually happy to have had all that child-free time to attack the house.

Sunday morning we went for a walk, then laid Aiden down for his nap. He slept for a full three hours before we got him up to go get his hair cut. We stopped at the mall so I could get the battery changed in my watch. After that, I dropped Aiden and Travis off at Toys R Us so I could go pick up PJ's for Travis at Old Navy for Valentine's Day. On our way home, we stopped for some super greasy food at Five Guys Burger and Fries. It's new around here and we'd heard good things about it, so we wanted to give it a try. It was a little too greasy for my tastes, but Travis LOVED it.

It was a great "last" weekend for us. Travis is having his hernia surgery this Friday, which means that we have several laid back weeks ahead of us. I look forward to having lots of Travis-time, but I'm not looking forward to his pain. Eek!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger