Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seeing Orange and Blue

Sounds like Alex is really enjoying spreading his wings in college. I love it. His first day of class was last Monday (Aug. 23). He said that all of his classes are going well so far and his Physics teacher is really fun. That makes such a huge difference in how well you can learn a subject. I couldn't understand a word my Egyptian Organic Chem professor said to me. That was a rough semester. But I had an excellent Physics instructor, so I understood the concepts and aced both I and II.

Alex is sharing a dorm room with a friend from high school and is enjoying it thus far. I mailed him a care package last Tuesday and was super disappointed when it still wasn't there Friday (expected delivery date was Thurs). Turns out, the U of I mail system delays things a bit, so he got his package on Monday. Phew! I put lots of fun stuff inside: a mini-basketball hoop, dry erase board, snacks, hamper, etc. He loved it.

My dad makes up his own acronyms during text messaging. One of the most commonly used is SOF for Smile On Face. All I can think of right now is SOF.

He joined a group called Illini Pride. It has thousands of members who are students that dress up in school colors, go to sporting events and support the University of Illinois team. Alex is regularly going to the volleyball games with his roommate. In his other free time, he has been playing a lot of basketball with some friends. Sadly, this resulted in a double sprained finger. He jammed both sides of the joint in his right index finger. He is right-handed. Meaning, note-taking is going to be difficult for a while. As is playing basketball.

I am a little jealous of Alex' college experience. He is going to a big school with all the traditions that go along with a large state university. He is living in a dorm and may possibly try for a fraternity next year. He is living. it. up!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger