Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Birth of Lil' Wodie's Nursery

Travis and I drove up to IKEA Sunday after everyone had left for the weekend. We had planned on doing this next weekend before registering. I'm really glad we didn't wait. I don't think I would have made it all the way through the day.

IKEA + pregnancy = afternoon nap.

We drove up planning to purchase two nightstands/dressers for our bedroom. As of right now, Travis has all of his clothes in a dresser in the soon-to-be nursery. To avoid waking up a sleeping baby in the future, we want to move his clothes out of that room. Since we don't have room for a second dresser in our bedroom, we opted for mini-dressers to replace our nightstands. I plan to move one or both of our existing nightstands into Lil' Wodie's room as end tables.

Just before leaving for Houston, Travis asked if I would mind purchasing the large dresser. We want to replace the old one we have in there. He wanted to make sure I was okay with it since it MAY stretch us a bit after our bills this week. Whatever! Hell yes I want to buy that dresser! Besides, the idea of having to make two hour-long trips to IKEA for something we already know we want to buy seems silly if it is avoidable.

Although, the Murano proved our logic wrong on the ride back. With a car full of furniture, we got the best mileage I have seen that thing get. Travis said it always seems to get better mileage when it is loaded it down. Guess what the mileage was. 52.7mpg. SERIOUSLY. Here's the proof (that has not been Photoshopped I promise):


When we reached the store, we had to walk through the whole place. They don't really give you much of a choice actually. But we were happy to stroll through. During this stroll we were reminded to purchase a new rug. The one Bella has been peeing on has almost no rubber on the bottom due to the frequent washing. Plus, we found a really cool floor lamp on sale for $10 off. On top off all that, there was a Blue Moon sale going on, meaning 10% off of everything! Score! 10% doesn't normally sound like much to me, but after making a series of large purchases, it adds up.


This is the lamp we bought. It has room for three bulbs, but we only used two to keep it dim. I want to use it as a nightlight for midnight feedings. I don't have photos of the dresser and nightstands yet. Travis spent two nights in a row staining the nightstands to match our bedroom furniture. And we would like to have the old dresser moved out of the nursery before putting together the new one.

We also bought the stuff to make additional hanging rods in the nursery closet. We looked for something that would fit our purpose at IKEA, but nothing was close to what I had in mind. When we were at Lowe's later that afternoon I came up with this ingenious contraption.


Travis made it out of marine rope and PVC pipe. I spent the latter half of Monday going to four separate stores trying to find child hangers to hang the new clothes on that thing. But I was determined to find some before the end of the day. I ended up washing all the 3-6 month hand-me-downs and hung them on the bottom rung.

Everyday when the sun goes down, I go into Lil' Wodie's room and turn on the night light. We are slowly making progress. I can just feel the room waiting for him to come home.

1 comment:

Alexa said...

I love it! I want Travis to build me one for Blair's closet!!! I remember going into Blair's room and just sitting in the quiet, with him inside moving around. Those moments are precious. Enjoy it. We are so happy for you guys.

Powered By Blogger